Modeling & Detailing Diesels and Other books

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
I was wonder if you guys know of other books like these that are good for detailing our locos steam or diesels.

I have Modeling & Detailing Diesels Volume I & II but will there be more volumes or are there more?

I was also wondering what ever happened to Terry Metcalfe? Anyone know?
He did 4 wonderful books on UP modeling which I have all of. Took a while for me to obtain them though!:D I wondered if he was still around and if there will be any more books by him I have a few others by him but these on modeling are awesome!:)

Any light that can br brought into this will be good. Additional recomended HO modeling books for diesels and or steam is good too.

Thanks!

here a pic of the other book I gotta get a pic of vol I also...

MADD vol 1.jpg
MADD vol 2.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice, although I'm not sure what happened to him, those books are definitely on my list of wanted ones!

:p Yeah I have that one too but I like these and the others I showed in my last post...

51RS21KYA2L._SY375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
30397474848.jpg

Last edited:
Terry Metcalfe died in 1991, shortly after the publication of his last book, Union Pacific Freight Cars 1936-51. I think most books have been killed off by the net, since so much information is available on-line. I haven't seen a series like Terry's in many years.

Terry Metcalfe died in 1991, shortly after the publication of his last book, Union Pacific Freight Cars 1936-51. I think most books have been killed off by the net, since so much information is available on-line. I haven't seen a series like Terry's in many years.

Jim I happen to have this book too by Terr Metcalfe that you mentioned. It is fantastic. Mine came with a pack of shop drawings for some reason the ebay selller gave them to me and felt it belong to the book since it was all authored by him as well.

Recently I acquired a few more books, one in particular I would like to mention is this book called Diesel Demonstrators (Hardcover)
~ Karl Erk (Author), J. C. Smith Jr. (Editor), John J. Scala (Editor)

9780961281489-us.jpg

It is nothing short of fantastic! I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
I've found the photos on the internet invaluable for modeling projects. Up until fallen flags website came online, I was trapped by what I could railfan, the library or what my LHS had for bookage/magazines.

My models at the time were mostly from what my dad and I had taken detailed photos of, mostly CN and CP. So when fallen flags was found, my diesel collection became more diverse. All of a sudden I had CR, Reading, EL, UP, WP, PC, & DT&I engines, only because those pics were now a click away! (in dialup back then....ouch!) :rolleyes:

I will say tho that Jim Six's articles on Altoona's helper pool in vol 2 (red book) did make me take a trip there and so started my Conrail modelling thread. I think the red book is better than black vol 1, but I'm a NorEast modeller. But those books showed finished models, and written techniques.

So, I recommend:

Conrail cyclopedia
fallen flags
cnrphotos
railpictures.net
rrpicturearchives

and of course the red vol2 of diesel detailing series. (great book, pages falling out of mine!) :D

There are also many technique 'how-to' websites too, like Details West, Andy Harmon's, Brian Banna's, Mike Rose's, & Chris Howards (railflyer) etc.

And on various photo websites like photobucket and pbase, photog's like Harry Wong et al, have captured alot of the RPM meets in pics to pique your interest and show it can be done. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend "Conrail, the final years" for anyone who is a Conrail buff. I got a copy of it this Christmas and man is there a ton of good information/pictures in it. It covers all of Conrail's motive power fleet from 1990 until then end of it all come 1999. For those of you who want pre 1991 the same publisher has a book about that as well :)

cnrl-002.jpg

Back