Model train closeouts

Goldnut

Anyone ever order from this place? I cant seem to get a response from them via email. There is no number to call them either.

Why did you have to show me that? Now I have to agonize over the M636. :)

Edit - I would never buy anything from such a site. No information about who they really are or where they are located. An "about us" tab that only has advertising copy in it is not useful to me - it just pisses me off.

Last edited:
Don't jump to conclusions so fast. From their "Contact Us" page.
Model Train Closeouts
2269 Easton Turnpike
South Canaan, PA 18459
Disclaimer: I don't buy any engines that I cannot personally inspect except from ScaleTrains.

I guess if it feels too good to be true…

The Genesis gp38-2 if it has the ditch lights it’s a great deal. If you take the plunge make sure you use a credit card or PayPal for protection

TomO

Well thanks for all the info. Very disappointing. I feel foolish that I tried to order from them. I am kinda new at this and was looking to get some On30 stuff. Guess Ill keep looking. Thanks Ken

What kind of 0n30 stuff are you looking for?
Im still thinning out the herd and have some goodies to offer.
(and I have a real address! 😀)

For the record, if you run a business out of a farm house, it's fine with me. But I generally expect an email response from any business that I have engaged with in some way, within 48 hours. There is really no excuse for anything longer than that.

Well thanks for all the info. Very disappointing. I feel foolish that I tried to order from them. I am kinda new at this and was looking to get some On30 stuff. Guess Ill keep looking. Thanks Ken

No reason to feel foolish, it's getting harder and harder to easily figure out what online sources are legitimate and which are...not so legit. In this case, the website is actually pretty clean and organized, which suggests it was at least designed by a web design firm or internet programmer, probably Shopify. It's not like the old days when scam websites were easier to identify, with bad designs, broken links all over, and lots of recognizable red flags. And you did the smart thing to seek advice elsewhere.

That being said, I'm still not certain as to whether this is a scam website or just a badly run business. My first thought when I googlemapped the address was, "Oh this is some guy running a train store out of his house. Maybe used to have a table at local train shows, and when those were canceled for the pandemic, paid a firm to create a website so he could sell stuff online. Probably one of those vendors who would yell at you for touching anything on the table at shows unless you're gonna buy it." If you watch the video above, however, there are a bunch of other suspicious things that its creator discovered, such as connections to other hobby shops. But to me, the fact that this "business" has been around for several years in various forms (and that some people have actually received orders) suggests to me that it's not a true scam as much as a really badly run business.

I don't know how much 0n30 stuff they carry, but I've never had any problems with:

www.modeltrainstuff.com
www.factorydirecthobbies.com

I don't know what the policy here is regarding a link to another model train forum so I'll just mention that there's a current thread on this business running now on Model Railroad Hobbyist discussion forum. Lot's of interesting information.

I don't know what the policy here is regarding a link to another model train forum so I'll just mention that there's a current thread on this business running now on Model Railroad Hobbyist discussion forum. Lot's of interesting information.
It's pretty relaxed.

Back