Model This!

sushob

Entrepreneurial Teen
I posted this on the 'other side,' but since things are slow here I figured I'd post it again for those who don't venture over to our prototype brothren often.

<snip>

(Friday, July 1, 2005)

Just got home from a quick run into town. My scanner (fire/rescue scanner that is) went off with a call for a "traincar on fire on the Water Street overpass." Hmm...not a good thing. Less than a minute later the first truck arrived and reported a 'working fire,' so we ran into town to see what was going on. It was a local on the Norfolk Southern mainline (Northumberland). Sure enough a hopper (gondola?) full of railroad ties was ablaze, smack dab in the middle of the overpass (intersection of routes 11 & 147). Luckily the traincrew stopped the train just before it started across the first bridge (visible in background) over the river to the island (that would've made it a little more interesting I suppose). Once the firecrews were able to identify the hopper's contents (ties), they quickly sprayed it with a little water and the traincrew uncoupled the car and pulled it off of the overpass. This allowed the fire police to open the highway below, and the firemen finished the job with foam. Lots of smoke and a nice burnt-cresote smell, but as far as I know no injuries.

Keeping in mind that I was kinda stuck in one spot, are the pictures any good? (no cropping done...just off the camera, compressed, sent to the local news station and posted here).

</snip>

As we stood and gawked, my sister notice a 'bunny' on the hopper next to us. We believe he is the prime suspect thus far :rolleyes: ;)

That first photo is excellent... I had to look twice to make sure that this wasn't Water St. in Albany, OR.... which also has an rail overpass where the Portland & Western RR Toledo Branch comes in from the west.

Hi Nate, nothing wrong with those pictures, thank's for posting them, (Irarely get over to the dark side myself) :D
Cheers Willis

sushob said:
I posted this on the 'other side,' but since things are slow here I figured I'd post it again for those who don't venture over to our prototype brothren often.

<snip>

(Friday, July 1, 2005)

Just got home from a quick run into town. My scanner (fire/rescue scanner that is) went off with a call for a "traincar on fire on the Water Street overpass." Hmm...not a good thing. Less than a minute later the first truck arrived and reported a 'working fire,' so we ran into town to see what was going on. It was a local on the Norfolk Southern mainline (Northumberland). Sure enough a hopper (gondola?) full of railroad ties was ablaze, smack dab in the middle of the overpass (intersection of routes 11 & 147). Luckily the traincrew stopped the train just before it started across the first bridge (visible in background) over the river to the island (that would've made it a little more interesting I suppose). Once the firecrews were able to identify the hopper's contents (ties), they quickly sprayed it with a little water and the traincrew uncoupled the car and pulled it off of the overpass. This allowed the fire police to open the highway below, and the firemen finished the job with foam. Lots of smoke and a nice burnt-cresote smell, but as far as I know no injuries.

Keeping in mind that I was kinda stuck in one spot, are the pictures any good? (no cropping done...just off the camera, compressed, sent to the local news station and posted here).

</snip>

Lets see, all I would need would be a gondola and some matches!

Back