Model RR Decal traderoom...

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So, upon thinking about the job of decaling cars or locomotives for another person's fictional RR, I figured I'd start this thread.

Basicly, its to post up your RR's decals, either an image we can print, or price and contact info for getting pre-made decals. Lastly, if you have pre-finished cars to sell for "interchange" or even trade, post that too. I'd like to get some run-through equipment for my RR. I'll include some decals later for my dad's RR.

Awesome great idea Josh. I'll get mine up here as soon as possibly. I'll probably most likely be interchanging cars but thats a good idea.

I like this I want to get some Decals up but I have to make them first :D I want to find interchanges for my layout to

If you guys haven't run across it yet, there's a special interest group for Proto-Freelancers (folks who imagineer their own railroads but without too much whimsy - like what it might have been in the real world if railroad "X" hadn't done this or that). That group can be found on yahoo groups here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfmsig/

If I remember correctly, there has been some talk in the past about exchanging rolling stock, or even just decals to letter your own cars, and at least one project has resulted in a set of custom decals being run by one of the SIG members who runs a custom decal outfit.

I haven't actually gone so far as to paint and letter my own rolling stock for other folks roads, but it's something I am interested in. What I have done is make my own containers (for double stack well car service) out of paper I printed from my computer. These were lettered for my own fictional intermodal operation, which in turn, led to another PFM-SIG member making his own N scale models of my road. Pretty neat stuff, and plenty of room for adding your own personal touch.

Thanks Ryan! If you'd like, adding some decal images here would help members here, if they want some too!

I have yet to make up a paint scheme for my dad's railroad. I'll add that soon enough.

Here's the link to Steven Campbell's website, where the Greenlight Intermodal concept I dreamed up is illustrated:

http://www.srmodeltrains.com/GreenlightIntermodal.html

Steven and I have discussed making decals for the containers and trailers, and he's gone so far as to prepare the decal ready artwork for them, but I'm not sure if any decals are available.

My original solution to the problem of making my own container decals, as I mentioned above, was to create a paper printout that can be cut out and folded up to look like this:

GLTU01.JPG

The paper copy is folded up, glued and posed in front of the containers I scanned to make the artwork.

The image file I printed out is here:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/ryan.harris/GLTU.JPG

And the folding diagram I prepared is here:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/ryan.harris/foldingtemplate.jpg

Back to decals...

The website I mentioned earlier, Bill Priepke's Scale Rail Graphics, has a PFM-SIG page here:

http://www.scalerailgraphics.com/PFMSIG.htm

You can click the links and see what decals other PFM-SIG contributors have made for interchange. You can also contact Bill about his decal services and print up your own.

I strongly suggest anyone who's interested in proto-freelancing join up with the yahoo group and introduce yourself and your concept. I don't mean that it should take the place of this great forum at all, but it is a focused group where you can share and learn many things from people who spend a lot of free time thinking about this stuff, particularly the interchange aspect.

International Car Exchange

My guess is that most of you are to young to remember the International Car Exchange (ICE) special interest group (SIG) of the NMRA. I was a member in the early '80's, and participated in several "trains". Members of the SIG would actually send one of their cars to another member, in a round robin format. Each train had a conductor who assigned the rotation and monitored the train's progress. When a car arrived, you would run it on your layout for a time (I think it was two weeks, but the memory is fuzzy), then send it on to the next railroad on the interchange list. You'd send reports back to the conductor, who would publish the progress in the SIG's newsletter.

I still have some really nice pictures of my cars on other's layouts. I was between cameras at the time. The old one, a Pentax Me, had shutter problems and would have cost more than it was worth to repair. I didn't get a new one until after the last train of the SIG had been run.

I'm still trying to figure out what all to include on the RO&W decal sheet besides the logo, road name, and reporting marks. If I put on everything I can think of, they'd come out about 8-1/2 x 11 each :D. It'll be nice to see what others have done.

Kevin

Ryan, I love the evolution of a freelance paint scheme. I read that page long ago... Anyways, I'll see about making decals of them, just to see...

Ryan i'm going to have a go at making the card container like the one's in your article, they look great,
nice work

Don't know how I missed this thread til now? I had decals made by MicroScale for my locos and rolling stock. The image is a low res copy of it and is not suitable for printing. The light blue background is there so you can see the white printing. I would be interested in trading a sheet with any of you regulars who have ones of your own freelance RR as long as we promise to post photos of each others use. This could be fun!

SLOW_Decals3w.png

Awesome Ray! I'd be interested in picking some up, but I dunno how modern your paint scheme goes! :p

Ryan i'm going to have a go at making the card container like the one's in your article, they look great,
nice work

I just remembered I had run across a link for more cardstock containers some time ago and downloaded a few in PDF format. Fortunately, the URL was imbedded in the PDF, so I clicked it and ended up here:

http://www.igshansa.de/igsorg.html

Enjoy yourself cutting and pasting together those containers!

Hey Josh! I gotta start checking back into threads more often. My paint scheme is 1925, but since it is purely fictional a freight car could have most any freelance decals on it. Send me a PM with your address and I will send you a sheet.

Brian, I usually buy prepainted, unlettered rolling stock (mostly Accurail) and just use a standard placement of the SLOW logo.

Decaling02w.png

LocoComp01.png

On the coal car I was not able to fit the main logo so I just used the SLO&W instead. When you have some to trade let me know.

OK question guys are their any good "home made Decal" programs I tried testers but me and it didn't agree to well

0ec70c78.png

2ce299c2.png

Here's a couple I made earlier, the RoadBox, copied from an idea on the PFM forum is lettered with a combination of Microscale - the Railbox logo and American Flag - and home made inkjet decals. On the actual model the blue in the logo and RoaBox appears the same.
The second was made using a set from the now defunct NMRA Sig

My own road, dedicated to the Milwaukee, was originally the Waukesha road, as i believe some of the firsr rails laid in N. America were there. After Kalmbach settled there I decided on a change of name and it has now become Wisconsin Rail, which allows me to keep the WR reporting marks. I'm presently working on a new logo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back