Model Railroading by Flashlite

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Forum Members:

I needed a tool that was stored under my layout in a tool cabinet. Rather than turn on the breaker for the layout room lights, I took a flash light into the room. As I walked into the layout room, I panned the layout with the flash light. The small beam of light really showed how dusty the layout have become over the winter. Next project a total cleaning of the layout.

The small beam of light showed gaps in my scenery ground foam that normally wouldn't be seen when illuminated from above, but would show up in photos. I also saw missed areas of ballast that require attention.

The beam of light also showed where I needed to add more puff ball trees, straight sign posts and remove dust webs that spanned trees and buildings.

This was a real "eye opener".

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Greg,

You have convinced me to never look at my layout with only a flashlight, but for others striving for a top notch layout you have discovered and great method for checking for problems.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Hey Greg,

You have convinced me to never look at my layout with only a flashlight, but for others striving for a top notch layout you have discovered and great method for checking for problems.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Me too! Actually, I used the vacuum cleaner on the layout yesterday, of course, I probably missed something.

Joe

Something to consider an vacuuming: use a brand new bag, that way if you accidentally sweep up scenery, details, critters, etc you can recover them easily

Last edited by a moderator:
It is incredible how a different light source can pick up different things. All I now know is this - my torch (flash light) will be permanently retired to the work shop :)

PS: Thanks for providing another way to make work myself, really appreciate it :) :)

If you drop something (small part)on the floor, holding the torch at a low angle (on the floor) so the light beam shines across it, sometimes (Ah say SOMETIMES) will locate it. (hasn't worked for the missing sunshade from my near new SD40-2 unfortunately). Was still on only yesterday.

Ouch, that aint good - and I'll bet the sun shade is flat black too. For what it's worth, if you can't find it I have a sunshade of a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 I have no use for, perhaps you could do some fancy modding to it and ...... well, maybe not, perhaps, but it IS black. :)

It's UP Armour grey actually, but a 99 Dodge Ram one might make a unique surfboard. The SD40-2 is one that's slated for an MRL re-do though.

I recently swept my basement floor to pick up the always present hair from our dog. Thought I had done a good job, turned OFF the light and went up stairs, then came back down. With just the sun coming from the door, I clearly saw several clumps of hair I had missed. I turned ON the light and they disappeared. Amazing.

Back