Model Railroader Review of Kato GE P42

RCShadow

Has anyone else read the review of the new Kato GE P42 HO Loco? What caught my eye is the drivetrain. I sure wish other models were built this way :D! I like the fact that two independant motors are used for each truck. The weight of the model is also great. I feel that if more loco's were built this way, the tractive power and all that would sky rocket.

The review can be found here...

http://mrr.trains.com/news-and-revi...07/kato-usa-ho-scale-ge-p42-diesel-locomotive

You may have to be a subscriber to get to the review. I would like other peoples thoughts on this setup.

Yeah, it reads nice, but as the reviewer said, ...coreless motors are REAL easy to overheat, so is there really an advantage to them. I have one coreless motor equipped steamer, and although it runs very, very smoothly, I have to be careful of the top voltage going to it. Since its a drag engine I limited its top speed to about 25smph, so it won't overheat, and burn out, so I'm not out a real expensive motor. Last thing are the seemingly missing details. What happened from having an inordinate amout of details to put in place on a Kato, to this one, where there are no extra details. Sorry but if I have to pay almost the price of another loco to get the level of detail I've long been accustomed to, then a loco like this will never see my layout. I don't mind adding or removing details to locos, I do it to brass locos all the time, but if common details, like the type that just about everyone else is including are left off, why pay more for an already expensive plastic engine.

Yeah, it reads nice, but as the reviewer said, ...coreless motors are REAL easy to overheat, so is there really an advantage to them. I have one coreless motor equipped steamer, and although it runs very, very smoothly, I have to be careful of the top voltage going to it. Since its a drag engine I limited its top speed to about 25smph, so it won't overheat, and burn out, so I'm not out a real expensive motor. Last thing are the seemingly missing details. What happened from having an inordinate amout of details to put in place on a Kato, to this one, where there are no extra details. Sorry but if I have to pay almost the price of another loco to get the level of detail I've long been accustomed to, then a loco like this will never see my layout. I don't mind adding or removing details to locos, I do it to brass locos all the time, but if common details, like the type that just about everyone else is including are left off, why pay more for an already expensive plastic engine.

All good points...thanks for the input.

aint this the same setup that rail flyer was offering im thinking of getting one just for show as i truly dont like the P42DC's

aint this the same setup that rail flyer was offering im thinking of getting one just for show as i truly dont like the P42DC's

I've always thought both lacked character in looks really. To each his own to be sure. I was more interested in the drivetrain and getting two motors, one on each truck for pulling power. One thing I did like about this one was the curves it could negotiate...tight!

the railflyer ones were using 1 small motor per axle just like 1 traction motor on the prototype. Not sure what kind of motors he was using though.

the railflyer ones were using 1 small motor per axle just like 1 traction motor on the prototype. Not sure what kind of motors he was using though.

o ok that is what i thought did they ever get release im not sure i was on the website earlier but all i saw was the computer rendering? The thing about it as it is a passenger locomotive and will be ran at passenger speeds (i.e over 70 scale miles) do you think Kato extensively tested them before the release or just rush them out to be ahead of the game?

Back