Model Railroad Yards--Design for Operations

bob

Administrator
Staff member

In this video we talk about model railroad yards--design for operations. Yard operations can be one of the most challenging and fun aspects of operations on your #model #railroad #layout. If you design for #operations before building your model railroad #yard it will operate more efficiently and cause less frustration.

Video by Ron's Trains N Things
Published on Mar 20, 2018

Observations:
The lead needs to be as long as the longest class track, the class tracks don't necessarily have to be as long as a train. Most real class tracks aren't that long. Smaller yards or yards on branches or lines with only one or two trains don't need A&D tracks or a lead, but a lead is a good idea on any yard. Several double ended tracks are handy too, you can call them yard tracks or A&D tracks. In real yards the A&D tracks are the longest tracks but may not be as long as a train, especially an older yard in the modern era. An A&D track designed in 1950 for 50 40 ft cars may not hold a 100 car train of 50 and 60 ft cars. On many yards the "thoroughfare track" is used as a caboose track (railroads still use cabooses also.) Thoroughfare track can also mean a track from one end of the yard to the other used to get engines and cabooses from one end of the yard to the other. A crossover by the engine in the picture would allow a train to depart to the main from a class track (which real railroads do, especially with locals.)

On Google Books, search for "Droege" and look for "Yards, Terminals and their Operation" or "Passenger Terminals and Trains", for two prototype textbooks on prototype yard design (free downloads). Very dry but tons of detail. John Armstrong also wrote two books, "Railroad: What it is and what it does" and "Track planning for Realistic Operation" that are very helpful.

I enjoy Ron Marsh! I watch a lot of his videos. One thing I really like about him is that he is honest enough to share his "Oops!" moments with his viewers.

I enjoy Ron Marsh! I watch a lot of his videos. One thing I really like about him is that he is honest enough to share his "Oops!" moments with his viewers.

I enjoy most of Ron’s videos as well. I really liked the easements episode. He was able to explain it well, and make it understandable.

I vaety informative video. I guess I did things right. Although my yards are a lot smaller than the ones in the video, they use most of the items mentioned in the video.

Back