model railroad slang

slj4

Hello,

I was just wanted to talk about some model railroad slang. I was interested in slang terms for couplers, and what the most popular slang term is out there for them? Thanks! :p

The only coupler "slang" I know of is "Horn Hook" for the old school NMRA style coupler found on most ready to run rolling stock until recently.

There is some other colorful langauge associated with couplers, but we can't print it here. It's what a modeler says when that tiny little spring in a Kadee coupler shoots out and apparently achieves low earth orbit since it's never seen again.

Bob you can say that again about those little Springs they are a pain in the neck when they come out ! When your not a brain surgeon and your fingers don't work well to get them back in !

Couplers

Hello,

I was just wanted to talk about some model railroad slang. I was interested in slang terms for couplers, and what the most popular slang term is out there for them? Thanks! :p

slj4
On the real railroad. A brakeman might say "on the pin" meaning, take the tension off the coupler pin, so you can uncouple. That's the only thing I can think of. Model railroading none.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
slj4
On the real railroad. A brakeman might say "on the pin" meaning, take the tension off the coupler pin, so you can uncouple. That's the only thing I can think of. Model railroading none.

NYC_George

Actually we would tell the engineer to slack 'em West or East depending on the way we needed the slack.On the PRR we use a hand signal.:D

Refering to slang
BB-Athearn Blue Box
Shake the box- Kit so simple that you can almost just "shake the box" and its together. See BB
Screwdriver Kit-Kit that needs only a screwdriver to put together.

Thats all that comes to mind at present.

On the pin

Actually we would tell the engineer to slack 'em West or East depending on the way we needed the slack.On the PRR we use a hand signal.:D

Hi Brakie
All though I worked for the PC the New York City MTA actually paid us and I think bought the radios. So after 1975 it was a mix of hand signals and radios. Now the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines are all owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The days of the 12 and 16 hour passenger jobs are gone.

NYC_George

Back