model railroad planning

Some people make a living doing that sort of work. You are asking for free what often goes on the open market for something like $20 hour / 2 hour minimum.

Lots of people are willing to help you design it, but you need to come up with a basic plan on your own first. At the very least, draw an outline of your space with the dimensions and any obstacles/restrictions (windows, hot water heater, doorway, closet, etc.) and post it here. List all of the industries, scenery features, operation preferences, etc. you are trying to incorporate in the layout, and some of the equipment you want to use. Specify a time period and a prototype railroad (if any). Don't forget the scale! :)

well, i know lots of people are willing, my size space is, 10ft by 15ft, there are no obstacles seeing that it is gonna be built in a shed, the shed has one window, but is high enough to where the layout will not touch it. The industries that i would like to have would be just two industries, one for covered hoppers, and another for tank cars. The scenery type that i would like to have would be mostly mountains with very few tunnels, my maximum would be 2. I would like the layout to be around the walls, and if possible, have a pininsula. My minimum radii is 22''. My scale is HO scale, i want the operation to be modern day, and realistic with passings, sidings etc. The equipment i want to use is modern day locomotives because i am modeling BNSF. Time period modern.

thanks
regards:)

I know we had a few of these threads in the past. I'd get in, but I'm so deep in my own projects now...

help

BNSFmodeler Just like you: we( those who write/post articles/photo's in this forum) are in the same HOBBY: MRR!! So a hobby is something you like to do and in this forum: to share with each other. Pleasedon't understand me wrong but to contact you by e mail for more info? :eek: Just put/write the information in this forumthread, right overhere and more people can read about it .:) So the chance that more people can read about your layoutdesign"problems" is much bigger than the way you wrote/posted( by e-mail...):D :D
I like to have" closer look" if you post a rough sketch of the space you have for the layout( + measurements in inches/feet, what kind of track etc. just like Sushob wrote!)
+ add an example of a plan in HO with a pass. station and 2 places to "put" industries on it( coalmine could be something else and at the right top corner there is place too for an other factory/industry...
Jos

There are also lots of nice layout plans on the net that can be modified to suit your needs. www.thortrains.com has quite a few in their all gauge page under the heading ho meduim sized layouts. The NMRA website will also tell you everything you need to know on how to get the layout running smoothly. This site has a wealth of information for modellers.
Ron

Sorry, but I am a bit confused as to why you would start another thread on this. There are many that will be glad to assist you in your design, but you need to stay put on one thread and supply all the info that is requested to get a starting point. You can even search this web site for "layout design" and look at what is there for some ideas. Bottom line is you have to work with the guys to get the results you want.

There are alot of people that can help you, but you must understand that the service you are after isn't cheap as in free in alot of cases.

First of all, you need to decide what you want, what scale, what size, the era, the equipment and so forth. Then decide on track, this is important when designing a track plan, because no two makers of track are the same.
There are many things, other then just saying "design it for me."

well, i know lots of people are willing, my size space is, 10ft by 15ft, there are no obstacles seeing that it is gonna be built in a shed, the shed has one window, but is high enough to where the layout will not touch it. The industries that i would like to have would be just two industries, one for covered hoppers, and another for tank cars. The scenery type that i would like to have would be mostly mountains with very few tunnels, my maximum would be 2. I would like the layout to be around the walls, and if possible, have a pininsula. My minimum radii is 22''. My scale is HO scale, i want the operation to be modern day, and realistic with passings, sidings etc. The equipment i want to use is modern day locomotives because i am modeling BNSF. Time period modern. And the type of track that i want to use is atlas, with No. 6 turnouts for the minimum.

thanks again

Ok, well to get you started, what do you like or dislike about the drawing Jos (Grove Den) drew for you?

likes and dislikes

the thing that i dislike about it is that its not really my style, another thing that i dislike about it is that the curves are probably too sharp. Also it doesnt really open up very many operating possibilities, also i need a longer mainline. I need a yard too, this one has no yard

thanks
regards

Ok, that's a start. Now maybe you can get some more hits on this. BTW: The mainline goes all the way around and you have a yard w/engine house in the upper right corner. Not sure about what you mean, "...not my style." Perhaps you could elaborate a bit. ;)

anything yet??

Hello, does anyone have any plans for me yet(thats not supposed to come out bad) lol i nreally need them please im about to move into my new house it would be a blessin if sumone would give me a good one please

thanks
regards

Hello, does anyone have any plans for me yet(thats not supposed to come out bad) lol i nreally need them please im about to move into my new house it would be a blessin if sumone would give me a good one please

thanks
regards
The best thing for you to do, IS; sit down w/a pen in hand & start designing what you really want & not what others think you want. No one else can design a layout for you. Go to a hobby shop or the book store on this forum & buy a layout design book. I've been building layouts for over 40 years for myself & others. But, I wouldn't even try to help someone decide on a layout w/out seeing the room or shed & talking in person w/the owner of the layout to be.

Larry

I agree with Larry. Go buy some graph paper, and scale out your room on it.
Start sketching layout ideas. Once you settle on something, then you can scale it out and see how it fits. I learned when I was in high school to draw my own layouts.

I agree with Larry, if you're asking for us to draw up something, then you're going to have to expect it to not be 100%, you're lucky to get 75% (ask Bob!). I know in your PM to me, you said you're 13, so it might be a new thing to asking for help in this way, we're not harping on you, though its tough for anyone to help when all we're given is:
well, i know lots of people are willing, my size space is, 10ft by 15ft, there are no obstacles seeing that it is gonna be built in a shed, the shed has one window, but is high enough to where the layout will not touch it. The industries that i would like to have would be just two industries, one for covered hoppers, and another for tank cars. The scenery type that i would like to have would be mostly mountains with very few tunnels, my maximum would be 2. I would like the layout to be around the walls, and if possible, have a pininsula. My minimum radii is 22''. My scale is HO scale, i want the operation to be modern day, and realistic with passings, sidings etc. The equipment i want to use is modern day locomotives because i am modeling BNSF. Time period modern. And the type of track that i want to use is atlas, with No. 6 turnouts for the minimum.

thanks again
Also, we've got to remember Jos draws by hand and does not use scale measurements so his drawing may not work out perfectly.

In all, I'll help out this coming week, but I need more from you.

Easy way to get this is, make a simple paint drawing, use the line tools, and pencil, and text to let me/us know where you want something, and where you don't.
1). Access points?
2). General locations for industries?
3). Yard area, track numbers, and desired use/holding space (how many cars of what type)
4). Tunnel/bridge/town locations?
5). Area's of note, that should be paid attention to?
6). What DON'T you want to see in the plan? (I.E. Roundhouse, intermodal yard, ect.)

Get this, and I can get started, I'll toss it in Atlas' FREE Right Track Software, so that I can use exclusively Atlas track components.

radii 22

bnsfmodeler: The drawing I made was for a room with almost the same size as yours. I just wanted to show you what is/was possible. I mean How many tracks/rails you COULD lay in that (I think!) small space for an HO layout if you want to run with big engines and cars..... Btw: the radii are at least 22"!! The most tight radii are under the city( =22")
So can you imagine your layout on this availeble space with raddi far more than 22"and a "complete yard and 2 industies and....? If you can: OK!:) just make a rough sketch and post it here please:) WE've got something to start with
This forum is not like "GOOGLE": just click on it and HOPPAAAA 1425 items/pictures/plans are showing up...mrr is also planning and designing FIRST:mad: ;) ( As I started many years ago I didn't like it either but I learned ( from the many "mistakes") as I got older and still I make , some smaller, mistakes and still I am learning how to make the "perfect" mrrplan or building or trees etc......
So its up to you again. :)
Wish you lots of succes!

Jos

When you save the file, select the file type box and save it as a jpeg of gif. Then go to the "post reply" page, or click "go advanced" below the reply box, and then click attachments, then upload the file you just saved. You can upload the standard file (bitmap, .bmp) but its slower loading.

Back