Model Railroad Crisis!

HO Scale MILW

A Normal, Regular, Train Fan
Hi all, now to start off, I am not getting out of model railroading, but am instead suffering a crisis. (In my opinion a crisis). The crisis in question is that I have not been in the model railroading spirit for the past week and I am just wondering does this happen to most modelers? I've been into model railroading for many years now, and I've experienced this before. Just this time, I'm just feeling like there should be more happening on my railroad. Is this normal for model railroaders? (Note, I don't have any plans to stop model railroading and collecting for the foreseeable future 😂). I hope everyone is having a good night!

I've a feeling hobby burnout is more common now with the advent of the very thing I'm talking to you with; the internet..
In the old days we had to wait a month for the new Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman magazine to come out in order to get most MRR pix, how-tos, ads, reviews, and stories..and too had to pay $ for it right then and there. Then if we wanted to talk with other RRers we had to write the Mag's editor and hopefully get our article in an ensuing issue..All this took so much time it kept our mouths watering for more and more, with no hobby burnout in sight...
Today there is so So SO MUCH instantaneous communication (like right now!) and immediate availability of not only still shots, but moving pictures (videos) of E V E R Y T H I N G railroad, 1:1 scale on down to Z !! We now have SO MUCH immediate involvement that the yearning for it is now satisfied any given time we so wish; no more waiting, wishing, wondering..We see and hear trains so much now that we easily become burned out from it all..and all in perfect color to boot..
Luckily this inertia fades away and we're back in the middle of it again...But it is very different an experience from when there was no internet to do what I'm doing right now; talking to possibly hundreds of people and expecting near immediate response as to whether they'll agree or not !

To be very honest, I have been busy with a lot of other things recently, including having to easy one of our four-legged, fury "children" on her way to "Rainbow Bridge". My layouts have mostly been in the transition era of the 1940's and '50's, when I was a kid and rode Burlington Zephyrs and later Northwestern 400's. None of my kids or grandkids have ever been more than passingly interested in model railroading. There are, however, the neighbor's youngsters who might be interested down the road. Due to the pandemic, we haven't had them over to see my layout. Soon, however... The question in my mind is whether they can relate to what I model, including "name" passenger trains, boxcars with roof walks and waycars (Burlington for cabooses). I do have a few more recent diesels, and could, I suppose, acquire some Amtrack cars.

So, when things clear out a bit, I may haul out of storage some more modern stuff. At 80, I don't contemplate tearing down my current layout and starting over. But, I will get back to it sooner or later.

Don't worry. The enuey will pass.

I find myself getting 'stuck'. I think that it is my attitude which sometimes probably is not the best in the West. Most times the stuck parts are not because I don't know how to do something - or - do not have the resource to get it done. Procrastination maybe? Case in point. I have learning curves with some of the shop equipment - Laser cutter, mini cnc mill and 3D printer that I wish to use and have not gotten to it.

I have built more than a few smaller pikes when younger, like others have stated - without Inet. The last 15 - 20 years I have been arm-chairing it, collecting stuff which ends up in boxes somewhere waiting for the big railroad I always wanted when retired. Fast forward to here and now. I look at the stuff I have amassed and truly wonder if I am sane or not. There is so much to do that makes me wonder if it ever will get out of boxes and on the road. It has been so long in process to get where I am now, it is kinda overwhelming. The Inet has brought a whole new level to the playing field. I love looking and studying what others have done - either good or not so good. That in itself brings on the 'Gee, that is what I want, but maybe not quite like that' scenario which causes a pause to rethink. Might be that pause is good.

The current project just to get to bench work has taken me over a week - 12 Lights with romax and all the fixens. There is nothing physical in the way to throw them up and I have all the stuff needed to do so along with a 62F room to work in. It is almost like I am scared to continue because I might not meet my expectations or what I have seen others do. Probably more so my expectations than others.

The wife keeps me busy on a lot of little things which is good for diversion. I also get my butt out of the house for various activities - mostly visiting with others and train chasing. We don't go anywhere further than a couple hundred miles much anymore; I guess that putting in over a million miles in a truck has something to do with that. So now I am a house hobo/hermit which is not all that bad I guess, because I can 'get my arms' around it. There are other modelers in this area as far as I know, but have not made the effort to squirrel them out. Libby is 90 Miles from everywhere so it is not worth driving 3 hours doing an 'out and back' just to go and visit. Maybe in time when I actually have something where trains can run.

I have been just trying to do something on/for the railroad everyday to keep plodding along. Lately I have been putting stuff in Inventory as the Insurance Company wants an idea of what they are covering. Easy to do, just time consuming - there again, a little every day and sooner or later I will be on the downhill side of that. Which brings up a burning question: What are you all doing with your inventory? I will ask at Mel's about that a little later. The website is coming together - there is not much 'big stuff' to do on that, mostly the little things like dotting the tttt's and crossing the iiii's that need to happen. Welp, off my soap box.

Ahhh, life is good whether trains run or not! Oh, and 'let there be light'.

Later

I have gone literally months walking past the layout with no intention of doing a single thing. Not even powering it up for five minutes. Then, when the verve returns, I get at it. Almost always there is something else competing for me time and me talents.

I garden seasonally. I'm not a pro, nothing like a 'master gardener', but I know what I like and I'm busy at it for four solid months each year. Now I have a nice shiny refractor telescope and go-to computerized mount and tripod sitting in the dining room gathering dust. I also have a concerning heart condition. These things all cost in some way. They take energy, focus, learning, note-taking, getting replacement items that bring pleasure or utility to what you're doing...

One must husband one's resources. Time and interest are resources.

My dear old Dad told me, when I was a young boy, to keep things special. Anything done too often, too much, will lose its power. You'll think you need, and you will want, more of it. This could be on-line vices (you know what I'm talking about), drugs, and other pursuits that eventually take over our lives, or that we ruin or reduce by making them routine or mundane. He was talking about things like chocolate bars, chips, soda pop, or other pleasures. This was 55 years ago, but even in modern times the same processes apply.

Move on to something else when there's simply no mood or desire. After a few weeks, I often find that something I have ignored or neglected, or overdone, takes up its strength again, and the pleasure intensifies.

What funny for me, is that when the summer comes, I tend to not be motivated as much to work on the layout or run trains. Then when winter arrives, I tend to get back into it. What makes this funny is that my layout is in the basement where it is very nice and cool during the hot summer months and freezing in the winter! :rolleyes:

Totally normal for ambition to Model RR to come and go.

What funny for me, is that when the summer comes, I tend to not be motivated as much to work on the layout or run trains. Then when winter arrives, I tend to get back into it.
I think it's like that for a lot of us. When the weather's nice and we can be outside doing things that's what a lot of us will do. Not to mention that there are a number of things that CAN'T be done outside during freezing weather!
I didn't get much done on my layout at all in 2022! :oops:
Don't ever feel like you HAVE to work on your layout. This is something we do for fun, after all. Don't feel discouraged by periods of lack of interest. We all go through those.

I went from mid September through the end of December without as much as running the layout, due to various unexpected health issues. Recently, I have returned to operating the layout and even some minor freight car detailing and weathering. Summer activity, including gardening, do not interfere with my hobby either. In fact I only use the paint booth and build benchwork in the summer, when the garage isn't a refrigerator.

Hmmm, if that is the criteria then I am in serious trouble. There's been nothing happening on my railroad for a very very long time.

I do hope I've helped others get stuff done on their railroads though.
Believe me you have helped, as for not a lot happening on your railroad, I think we all occasionally have a slump, I've run maybe, 3 trains in the last six months, but other stuff happens, that's life I suppose, I'm sure you'll get your mojo back soon.

Back