Mixing Track Manufacturers

I would like to use a PECO curved turnout on a layout that is predominantly built with Atlas track. Does this pose a problem? Any one have any experience with this?

As long as the track Code hasnt changed (but could with a transition track) like from code 83 to 100 or 55 to 83 and so on. Also it is recommended that you use Nickel Silver track vs. brass. As for manfacturer that shouldnt be a problem...

Brand isn't the real issue; the question is, Is it a power-routing turnout? IIRC, Atlas t/o's are not, so you might need to pay close attention to how you wire the Peco.

Bob, may I recommend the Walthers Shinohara curved turnout (code 83). It is DCC friendly and does not do power routing. Price is right and they are of very good quality. I have three and have had very good operations with them. If the code 83 is not what you need, you could add a few pieces of code 83 track before and after the turnout and then use transition joiners.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I've noticed, is (if I'm remembering the brands correctly) Atlas Code 83 flex has thicker ties to match code 100 at rail height. I'd recommend the Walthers turnout too though.

Mixing track manufacturer's isn't really a problem until you get into the track with built-in roadbed. Bachmann EZ Track and Life-Like Power-Loc for example. These two can be mixed with a bit of adaptation but is frought with headaches.

At the Freemo setup in Bellingham last month I noticed that although everyone used Code 83 it was still difficult to get the joiners on. The problem was that while the height remained the same the cross sections varied in width. Just something to be aware of but much less of a problem in a one time intallation than a modular setup.

Back