Minor weathering test

Just my advice,

but I've found that the PERFECT solution for painting and weathering trucks and wheels is to use "Roof Brown" paint on all components. Give it a try and be impressed.

Josh

Are those the roller-bearing trucks that the axle's spin/turn? If so, see if you can find some proto shots out there, I think they are a different color, especially when they replace them. Roof looks good. Also I have had good luck with chalks on the trucks.

mtrpls I'll try roof brown on the Kadee trucks for one of my 89' TOFC flats. I find that the Nutmeg Brown worked too, I might need a mix...

David Yeah I've seen varied colors on some, replacements... I'm going to work on the trucks more, this is a first coat test of the Burnt Sienna on trucks, never used it before.

We've been painting trucks Folquil Rail Brown and then blotting them with a paper towel for a mottled look. It works pretty well and is quick.

*Resurrection of an old post.*

Regarding weathered trucks:
mtrpls said:
Just my advice,

but I've found that the PERFECT solution for painting and weathering trucks and wheels is to use "Roof Brown" paint on all components. Give it a try and be impressed.
That works, but there are great variations in color on trucks. I start with a grimy black base, or flat black from a spray can. Next, I hit it with various "pastes" of AIM powder & various liquids, such as hairspray, water, and rubbing alcohol. (Tap water doesn't work so well, but distilled water does.) Dullcote follows.

Be generous with applications of rust.

For wheelsets, there are greater variations of rust and grime. There are often splashes of mud and other natural substances. I use Polly Scale grimy black, followed by a generous application of rust powders. I use hairspray or alcohol to move them around, dipping the tip of the brush slightly in the container.

For more on trucks, go to http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=817

Matt

uspscsx said:
*Resurrection of an old post.*

Regarding weathered trucks:

That works, but there are great variations in color on trucks. I start with a grimy black base, or flat black from a spray can. Next, I hit it with various "pastes" of AIM powder & various liquids, such as hairspray, water, and rubbing alcohol. (Tap water doesn't work so well, but distilled water does.) Dullcote follows.

Be generous with applications of rust.

For wheelsets, there are greater variations of rust and grime. There are often splashes of mud and other natural substances. I use Polly Scale grimy black, followed by a generous application of rust powders. I use hairspray or alcohol to move them around, dipping the tip of the brush slightly in the container.

For more on trucks, go to http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=817

Matt

Roof brown is a great base color for trucks, since it has both a rusty and a grimy effect. I, of course, follow up with various shades of pastel powders and dullcote. I'm very, very, very pleased with the results.

mtrpls said:
Roof brown is a great base color for trucks, since it has both a rusty and a grimy effect. I, of course, follow up with various shades of pastel powders and dullcote. I'm very, very, very pleased with the results.
Agreed. I was not in any way downplaying your idea, just adding to it.

I think I'm gonna avoid such a rusty color most of the time, I just liked the way that came out... I've been using tarnished black alot now. I like it for the not so rusty trucks. I'll post my GP7u's weathered sideframes sometime soon, when I get a working camera.

Back