Minimum radius of Athearn BB C44-9W?

Littlefoot14

Hey guys,

Does anybody know what the minimum radius is of the Athearn Blue Box C44-9W? I tried google but didnt find much.

Thanks!

My minimum radius is 28" & it turns OK on mine. I have some older Athearn engines in this same wheel pattern & I had to trim off some of the front & rear of the trucks to even make the 28". Also, even at 28" your track has to be perfect w/no kinks or misalignments of anykind. Now, someone else may tell you different.

28 inches and only running ok, Thats pretty big, i thought most 6 axle diesels were 22in. With some being able to run 18, if they are running 28s with slight problems theres no way they are going through 18s

I ran an Athearn RTR AC4400 on 18" radius but the coupler pockets had to be modified so it wouldn't derail the first car. If the C44-9W is like it then it should be able to take 22" radius OK.

I can drive mine around an 18" but the back swings out too far so I can pull anything, I have since then redone my layout

That's right, just cause it'll make it doesn't mean it look good or do good doing so around 18's

2155ab87.png

^agreed that they don't look good on 18''

Just to clarify. I run 22'' min on my mains, but I test all my eqiupment on all sections of track, even if its a branch that will only see switchers on operations....

Itll run ok on 18s, just not look great. You may have some issues going across snap switches etc and you may have derailments of the car just behind the loco unless you adjust the coupler boxes or couplers. I think i put 27 or 28s in my c44-9 and it does ok. you may want to experiment with a long shank coupler.

My longest car is a grainer, most are like 40-50ft. Im not as worried about how it looks, itll be a carpet runner unfortunately. A longer coupler might be an option.

I used standard couplers on the Dash-9's and a longer coupler (can't think of the number) on the car.

I used standard couplers on the Dash-9's and a longer coupler (can't think of the number) on the car.
I did the same with my Athearn SDP40F's. Kadee #5's on the locos and a long shank coupler (maker unknown) on the car coupled to the loco. This was needed so the train could go through a #4 turnout without the first car derailing. And believe me when I say that something as large as an SDP40F, let alone two of them, is a strange site going through such a tight turnout.

Ok i did some research here, would kadee #146, or 156 be better for locomotives? I know they are car couplers, but i want the wiskers, and need a long shank.

I can't give exact measurements,but my AC4400CW goes around a 1 meter radius (which is the max that I have to work with) just & that after modifiying the trucks & taking away some of the under carriage....around my bends the track work is hair fine,otherwise it goes off.....also,my 1st car is heavily modded too ( 85 foot trailer train )

Well i didnt wind up buying the C44-9W, but ive got a pair of AC4400s hopefull coming. Do you think theyll consist together and be able to pull any cars? How do i have to modify the frames?

Back