Minimum HO Curve Radius

OK, Big Boy # 4014, here's the projected bedroom layout when I move into my "assorted living" senior apartment village:
It'll be built on two 4x8 sheets of select Birch plywood.
IMG_5220.JPG

The curve radii will be 22", as shown.

All Aboard!
I mentioned it before, Hal -- have you considered Kato Unitrack?
This might be just what you're looking for...
No, I haven't considered Kato Unitrack, mainly because I never heard of it!

Hal

I hope that you are getting a large couch so that I have a place to sleep when I visit you?

Is that $3050 your payment, rent, or taxes?

Looking at the plan, you're gonna have a hard time "reaching across" to the back of the railroad if you need to get access there.

I'm wondering if an "L-shaped dog-bone" style of plan might work...

I can easily reach across the 4 foot width of my layout...I'm 6' 2" tall.

Otherwise, I can move the layout a foot from the wall to give me an aisleway.

Didn't you see the sketch of my layout in this thread? It IS an L-shaped dogbone, man!

Last edited:
When you are reaching across that 4 foot dimension on you old layout, did you have any structures/scenery in the way?

I'm 6'4" with a 36" arm sleeve (33 avg), and I would/do have trouble reaching the tracks on the far side.

I might suggest a modified plan for you if you are interested?

Perhaps something like this,..
index.php

Last edited:
That plan won't work because I won't have the space for it across the narrow end of the room, which is only 4 feet wide.
My old (present) room is 20' x 25', and I never had to do any "reaching" of any kind on the 0-scale layout.

Attachments

• IMG_5225.JPG
    IMG_5225.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Another corner space layout consideration. It could be simplified in its overall trackage, but the accessibility is very good even on the wide section that sticks out from the corner. The spur sections off to either side could be interesting additions in the future,..or they might even provide 'staging track(s)' for a variety of engines you might want to run.

1635940869492.png

Looking at the plan, you're gonna have a hard time "reaching across" to the back of the railroad if you need to get access there.

You mean like this dogbone? The right hand loop is 7-1/2 feet in diameter, and I've never had any problems on it, mainly because I run my railroad as simple as possible, with a single train on a single uninterrupted track, with no spurs, sidings, or switches to complicate things.

I also occasionally couple a track-cleaning car charged with isopropyl alcohol into the train.

The only scenery I have on my flat layout is rock, gravel, and sand, along with a few fiberglass "buttes" which represent the stark, barren desert where Iive.
Hal

IMG_5229.JPG

nto

Last edited:
Sir Foldalot, the $3050 is my monthly rent.

All Meals, Utilities, and Maintenance are paid from that.

My monthly retirement income just covers the rent.

Hup Hup Hup

Hal

That plan won't work because I won't have the space for it across the narrow end of the room, which is only 4 feet wide.
My old (present) room is 20' x 25', and I never had to do any "reaching" of any kind on the 0-scale layout.
I think he was just suggesting that type of a plan in your space, not necessarily that specific plan. Something sort of variation of as below. Both attempt to break up the visual of a straight track running along the edge of a straight bench. The second one could be crossings (if one likes the clicky-clack of a train crossing another track) or could be elevations. I have to say though that elevations in this small of a space could be problematic. The advantage of the second is that there is a longer run in the loop and one can get to see both sides of a train.
brakeman hal #1.jpg

brakeman hal #2.jpg

Here's the floor plan of the apartment I chose instead of the one posted earlier. It has larger rooms, and I'll be using the master bedroom for the layout.

The dark areas represent 2-1/2 4x8 sheets of plywood. The clearance between the walls is enough for my legs, as the layout will be below ass level.
Hal
IMG_5238.JPG

Back