Mini Projects?

Dougget

Hi,
I recall an article, maybe two years ago, that explained how to build a tie pile... So I cut up some match sticks and built some piles. Very cool.
Once I stained the matchsticks with some India ink and let them dry, I was able to build these mini projects in one sitting.

What other cool scenery items can be done as mini projects? Ideas?

Just some pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Doug

When I have only a short time (most often the case) I'll build some pallets. Another quick project is a picnic table.

Look for Zip kits. http://www.carolinacraftsmankits.com/store/ has some. There are others. I think Bar Mills makes some as well.

The premise being that they are quick and easy to build. However, in my little whirling dervish mind, they are all to easy to modify and do other things with. My latest is about three weeks in, but I only get to work on trains 1-2 times a week if I'm lucky.

JazzDad,
Do you build them out of strip wood? I'm thinking 1/16 x 1/32 would be good for the slats. Maybe 1/16 x 1/16 for the support bars. Can you share any pictures of some of your completed pieces? Also, do you have a jig or freehand?

Thanks,
Doug

Wiring cars and trucks for lights using fiber optics. I drill out the top of 3 and 5mm LEDs and set the fibers into them with a bit of superglue leaving about a foot long tail on each of the plastic strands. Using premades it doesn't take very long to do a vehicle. Maybe 3 hours including drying time.

Back