Mini Micro and Ultra Fine Micro Beads

Maybe they could be used for taconite loads.

Excellent. I had to look that up .. from Wikipedia ..

Taconite is an iron-bearing, high-silica, flint-like rock. It is a Precambrian sedimentary rock referred to as a banded iron formation due to the typical alternating iron-rich layers and shale or chert layers. The very finely dispersed iron content, present as magnetite, is generally 25 to 30%. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, available iron ore was of such high quality that taconite was considered an uneconomic waste product. After World War II, most of the high grade ore in the United States had been mined out, and so taconite was turned to as a new source of iron. To process taconite, the ore is ground into a fine powder, the iron is separated from the waste rock by using strong magnets, and then the powdered iron concentrate is combined with bentonite clay and limestone as a flux and rolled into pellets about one centimeter in diameter that are approximately 65% iron.

250px-TaconitePellet.JPG

The smaller beads would work as they are approx 1.7cm .. hmmm. Need to see if I can color them.

Looks like it has to be after WWII to be proto. Looking around found that Taconite was what the Edmund Fitzgerald was carrying when she went down.

Grapes? Arranging them into bunches might be maddening.

That is a fantastic truck.

Back from the dead and suds ..

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I experimented with the Ultra Fine Micro Beads by mixing them in with Acrylic Gel ..

I decided to pour a thin layer of EnviroTex on my Caddo Creek. In prep for that I have been painting the creek with acrylics and dumping logs, leaf clutter, junk etc. on the bank and securing with the usual white glue and water.

While waiting for that to dry I decided to experiment a bit. In the pic the only gloss is in the middle of the creek where it's gloss black. The rest is just Apple Barrel acrylics in various shades. I used some Acrylic gel (Golden Extra Heavy Gloss) to make rapids/wavlets .. and the usual process is to wait until it dries then come back and dry brush the tops of the waves with white.

Did something diff. The gel is about 75% dry .. so .. what do you guys think? I really think that .. this method .. will kick ass on top of a layer of EnviroTex. (Color is off cause I took the photo with a drop light .. it kicked up the red a little too much - but it will do to show this)

river_5-vi.jpg

- - - -

That was last night. Just checked and it dried pretty much the same. That's a real close up photo but think it's a pretty cool effect. Will snap some better pics once I get some daylight.

Very cool Ed, that's something else on my list, still working on the pool tables too.
Sigh... too many unfinished projects!

Back