military trucks out of scale

azdiane

My hubby and I thought it would be cute to have a little HO military convoy, and so ordered from e-bay five military trucks very clearly identified as "1:87 scale" and "HO scale." They were Roco and Herpa offerings, apparently period accurate, nicely molded, crisp, clean, attractive unpainted models.

But our initial enjoyment faded when I set one of these next to an HO bus. Come on folks, Army trucks are pretty big things, but they aren't bigger than a bus!

The trusty HO scale rule came out, and dimensions were carefully taken from the models. Official US Army dimensions for the vehicles were obtained from the internet. Consistently, in all directions, these vehicles all scale out just a scudge less than eight percent oversize.

Are they OO scale? Using the definitions that HO is 3.5 mm to the foot and OO is 4 mm to the foot, that is a very nearly fifteen percent difference. So, no, they aren't big enough to be OO.

And then my hubby had the epiphany. These models are precisely halfway between the two scales. The product is marketed as HO to us and as OO to the Brits, and is out of scale for us both. Modelers in either of those scales get hosed, but from the manufacturer's point of view it's profitable.

Color me PO'ed!

Hugs,
Diane

Hey Diane what are the chances they are actually 1/64th scale / S scale ? I have seen other cars and trucks marked as HO but in fact are S.

David

Another bubble burst! Oh the pain!

O scale (1/48) vehicles are like hens teeth, unless you have deep pockets.
Lots of stuff in 1/43 .. Which just does not look good.

These models are precisely halfway between the two scales. The product is marketed as HO to us and as OO to the Brits, and is out of scale for us both. Modelers in either of those scales get hosed, but from the manufacturer's point of view it's profitable.

Color me PO'ed!

Wash them in hot water and run them through the dryer - perhaps they will shrink - it works on my tee shirts and such. ;)

1:43 is a collector scale and also British O scale.The vehicles are great and to my eyes work just fine with 1:48 scale trains.The only thing is just don't mix the two scales in one scene.I wish there were more 1:48 scale stuff but what you going to do when ATLAS sells 1:50 scale for O scale trains and the tin plate (3 rail) companies sell 1:43.

You can still use them just put them somewhere that they controll the point of veiw put close to the front with just trees and bushes. Just like you can use n scale on the back of ho layouts to make it look father away.

I've noticed a similar problem with Herpa trucks. They are just a tad larger than Athearn trucks [which I believe are closer to 1:87 scale]. They look great by themselves or with automobiles, but I keep them far away from other non-Herpa truck models. Gotta work with what is available...

Another thought just came to mind but it may be way out left too. Does anyone know what the military HO scale is for the military dioramas/models and such ? It might be an HO scale for them but not for trains ? See what I mean as it might be way out left lol

We did not return the trucks in just that anticipation that we will be able to create a scene where they don't get directly compared to real 1:87 vehicles, and yes, probably will be able to use them that way. But that defeats the purpose we had originally had in mind, of having the military show up and use the railroad station.

I just think that it's.... ahem, the feces of a barnyard fowl.... for the manufacturer to market a product they know is off scale claiming it to be in scale. I dunno, isn't it that model railroaders are supposed to be a band of brothers who don't cheat one another? Sure is a sweet thought, anyway.

Does anyone know if there is in fact a true to 1:87 HO scale US Army truck of the WWII or 1950s era available anywhere? Anybody got used trucks they would part with?

Hugs,
Diane

Hey Diane,

I sympathize with you and I wish all people would be honest, but model railroading is no different then any other profit driven market, buyer beware.

As Sirfoldalot said, be glad you are not looking for O scale. I have to do like you and group my O scale vehicles according to actual size.

Try this link http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Military-s/2666.htm

I wish you well!

Back