MID week Photo fun 23-24-25 October

Steve B

Firefighter
seeing as we had such a roaring success this weekend lets have some midweek madness, anything train's goes
Jos Here's a shot of a chemical plant next to Warrington bank quey station,,, as your next project is a chemical plant thought you would appreciate it
10-08-07021-3.jpg

and other trains in the station
class 60 loaded coal train
10-08-07015-2.jpg

and a class 66 climbing out of the yard with a very heavy load of Cargowagens full of bottled water
10-08-07022-1.jpg

Virgin Pendolino, 25Kva electric train which are used on the London - scotland run
10-08-07034-2.jpg

And Virgins Voyager diesel train used on cross country routes, these will very soon be repainted into plain grey and silver for the new owners in november, some sets have already been stripped of any virgin name and logo
10-08-07029-2.jpg

and at our local station a track ballast cleaner
10-08-07001-2.jpg

:D

I'm here. My Midland Gulf Railway fleet is building up. I have two locos in the black and white scheme with a third in the works.

P1010004-8.jpg

Take a look at this. Talk about a blank canvas.

P1010002-14.jpg

last one

Hey Steve...THANKS for the picture (s) you've posted.( chem.plant)
Jeffrey: cool train and TREES!;)
and finaly finished the last small module( super small moore...) before EUROSPOOR2007 !
Jos

OK, I'll try to add a little to this thread....

Spent most of the day working on the lighting of the buildings at Hopewell Junction. Crawling around on my hands and knees trying to connect little tiny wires (Soldering) over my head in cramped space isn't really my favorite task. I finally did get everything up and lit though. Here are the first two photos of the area as the sun sets and then at night.

Its Saturday Night and the crowd is gathered for the band concert in the park. All the Upper Crust of the little town are there in their finest attire. The sun is just setting as the concert begins.

DuskAtHopewell1w.png

The band is on their last piece. It's a good thing the town has installed some of that new fangled electric power that them big city folks love so much!

DuskAtHopewell2aw.png

Very nice night shots, Ray.

I'm almost finished with the locomotives for the Midland Gulf Railway. Here they are, pretty much as they sit at the moment.

Here you can see the PA2 and the GP50 and just to the right of the shed you can see the front of the F7-A.
Imag0001-6.jpg

In this shot you can see the SD9.
Imag0002-2.jpg

And here is the GP38-2, beat up and showing it's age.
Imag0005-2.jpg

These are all Athearn locos.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my shot for this week, here's my weathering rust result after 7 attempts :) still learning from the masters, but I'm getting there.

weathering_tank2_8c.jpg

Very nice work gents,
Maxi were always learning, thats what makes it fun,,, the day it gets boring is the day to pack it all in, looking great BTW
a set of buffers at Wigan station, compressed air assisted, they look all crudded up but thats just a huge pile of grease and dirt covering the pistons, if a commuter train overran the designated stopping area they would offer great resistance and damp the impact (slightly)
10-08-07010-1.jpg

and a Virgins nose
10-08-07032-1.jpg

Steve, I'll bet operation must get interesting at times with all that puzzle-work trackage and overhead catenary. I'm not sure I'd know what track was the right one to put a derailed train back on to. :) That buffer stop picture is interesting. I wonder if the forces exerted by the safety stop might actually make the situation worse, since I'm pretty sure they would exert more force into the runaway car buffers than they could absorb. Have any of these actually been put to a real test?

Jefferey, time to get a real decal set for that boxcar. Have you tried printing out your logo on decal paper yet? I've done done road markings on a Testor's decal film set I got at Walmart for about $11 and I'm pretty impressed so far.

Jos, those modules should be a big hit. The one with farm fields on the hillside is especially nice.

Ray, the lighting job came out great, especially the gazebo. I'm telling you, though, try a set of Posi-Tap's when you have a job like this next time. You'll never solder again. :)

Maxi, great job from a rusty blob to a realistic looking car. You're a fast learner.

I don't have anything very interesting to post. The street department boys have First Avenue all tore up because of a water pipe break but they are having a hard time finding it. The new pipe is stacked at the lower right if they can just find the break. They've called for help from the state highway department now, which means there are even more guys leaning on shovels. The citizens haven't had any water in about two days and are starting to get restless. It's tough to go more than day without a shower in during a Southern summer. :)

PipeBreakMedium.jpg

Nice shot Jim, i got two of those truck in red and white
The buffers do work at slow (ish) speeds, trains also have the same type fitted which are also sprung, but as you can imagine a heavy train going fast would just tear em up and chew em down
look at this video, it's not very clear but shows you whats what
Coupling up

Steve, I guess they function like our "bumping posts". They'll stop a car going a few mph but anything faster and they'll get ripped right out. With bumping posts, it will just tear the coupler off. I can imagine those hydraulic rams forcing the buffers right back into the car, which wouldn't be good if it was an occupied passenger train, something that's more likely in the UK than here.

There's more trouble in Hillside. The P&N 638 is in the hole waiting for the evening merchandise to pass so it can occupy the main and do some interchange work. Engineer Spike thought this would be a good time to duck into Wally's Corner Tap to grab some dinner. Unfortunately, Rule G is just a suggestion to Spike and he likes liquid dinners. He forgot he left his train blocking the Center St. crossing and all the horn blowing and racket has bought Officer Mike over to investigate. He found Spike isn't really in any condition to move the train so he's on the radio asking dispatch to get a hold of Billy Ray, President and CEO of the P&N, to come over and clear the crossing. This is not the first time that Spike has done something like this and Billy Ray keeps threatening to reduce him to a car knocker if it keeps up but he never does. It's hard to get good help down here. :)

BlockingCenterStMedium.jpg

The pickup truck is the lighted Busch model I wrote about earlier. It really looks good sitting waiting at the crossing although Jethro, the driver, is none to happy about the wait because he's got to get the chickens fed before it's too late at night.

Miles, the sign come form a Blair Lines sheet. They take pictures of real signs and print them on stryrene. I just had to make a styrene frame for the sign to give it some depth. Blair line has a really nice selection of all kinds of signs at reasonable prices. The Wards and GE sign are from Blair line also. They have a nice 3-D look without all the work.

Back