Micro motor for my Hon3

GaryMc

Got the new motor installed and it runs great, gear reduced 4 to 1 and it will just barely creep along and wide open about 40 scale mph. No screws to mount it just alittle 5 minute epoxy.

Hey Gary, :)

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly what I'm looking at. Is that round cylinder the motor or a flywheel? If it's the motor, it's in the tender and not in the engine? What kind of driveshaft connects the motor to the wheels? How did you alter the gearing to 4 to 1? Is there a transmission in the engine?

Low gearing is the holy grail of narrow gauge. :) The last thing you need is an engine that runs like a slotcar!:D

Greg

Sorry should of wrote a better narrative. The motor is mounted in the tender and what looks like a flywheel is the gear head/ transmission.The motor is 10mm x 16mm and the gear head is 10mm x 9mm.Hope this clears thimgs up.

Gary,
I'm faced with something similar with a PFM Consolidation. Would like to convert to DCC but space under the boiler is very limited. I'm considering moving the motor to the tender but that would limit space for any DCC circuit board. Who provided the changeout components for your machines? Any recommendations?
Best regards
ed j

Gary,
I'm faced with something similar with a PFM Consolidation. Would like to convert to DCC but space under the boiler is very limited. I'm considering moving the motor to the tender but that would limit space for any DCC circuit board. Who provided the changeout components for your machines? Any recommendations?
Best regards
ed j

Found it on Ebay from Microlocomotion.The motor in the FED spartan 2-6-0 already was in the tender just had to make a drive shaft.Check out his store on Ebay he has all different sizes, shapes and flavors with and without gear reduced and also has instructions on many different loco's on installation. Hope this helps.

Sorry should of wrote a better narrative. The motor is mounted in the tender and what looks like a flywheel is the gear head/ transmission.The motor is 10mm x 16mm and the gear head is 10mm x 9mm.Hope this clears thimgs up.

Aha... now I get it. Thanks. :)

Must be planetary gears as the housing is concentric.

Back