Micro fan + Seuthe smoke

Hos

I've been eyeing a project for a while, and it might be out on the horizon, but id like people input. Maybe you've done it or planned it before too? I'm planning this for HO scale. O scale could use more smoke and bigger fans or just a simple ultrasonic disc.

I found 10mm x 3mm 3VDC fans. They put out just over 1cfm, which for this application should be more than enough. At 12V tack voltage, a 100ohm 1 watt resistor will keep the V at 3 which is in the middle of the operating V of the fan (2.5-3.5V). Sound is 15dB and would be muffled outside of the shell for sure. The cooling effect on the generator should be negligible or at least easily addressed with a bit of insulating paint of material on the smoke gen.

So, The idea is to install the smoke generator with a small air gap between its output and the stack of the locomotive/car. The gap is for the pressurized air to flow through, accelerating the smoke up and out of the stack. Giving it a more real look for things like GTEL's and diesels. Steam locomotives would benefit too, but it still wouldnt be the massive plume it should be.

This air would accelerate the smoke out of the stack instead of it just kinda floating out.

What do you all think of this idea/concept? 10mm should fit in most engines.

Back