Micro Engineering and Central Valley bridges

railBuilderDhd

Whats the deal with these two companies? I just started building my first ME kit. I have to say that these two companies kits seem like they are designed by the same designer.
I was thinking that these must have been in business together and then there was a falling out or something. I was just interested in finding out if these were in fact one once before.

Dave

Not that I am aware of. Both companies started on their own at two different times in history. Central Valley model Works was started in 1947. Micro Engineering was started in 1964. My guess is the similarities between how the two companies design their products is simply due to following good engineering practices.

Check who designed the prototype bridges, might be why the models are similar looking.

I am not sure of the relationship between M.E. and Central Valley but it reminds me of a visit to Central Valley in the mid to late 80's. I went to their shop in Oceano, Calif. with 4 other people and did a quick tour. It was impressive and then to the train room. At first glance, I thought John Allen with all the bridges and piers made from items they made. What caught my attention was the pneumatically actuated turnouts. They moved like a Tortoise but when switched, you could hear the escaping air from one side. Pretty impressive! The switches, more like valves, routed the 1 or 2 PSI pressure to a two sided valve and would move the points. If I remember correctly, it was done with 1/8" tubing but have not seen anything like it. I don't know if they fabricated these twin pump turnout machines or if they are readily available but I thought that was the cat's meow.

I see know after doing more reading it is not likely there is anything between each of this companies. I do like the kits each provide. Nice detail builds.

Dave

Back