Metrolink F40PH #800

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Since I have little to no money to spend on parts, yesterday I started work on my model of Metrolink's F40PH #800. This unit started its life as Amtrak #396.

The model is a Walthers Trainline F40PH, Undec. I spent about 2 hours yesterday drilling, chiseling, and filing out the fans. I then installed 3 Q fans and a DB fan salvaged from a scrap P2K GP60 shell.

Once that was done, I started on the turbo hatch. Unfortunately for me, Cannon & Co does not make the correct hatch, so I opted to use the molded on hatch, with a new exhaust stack. To find the correct exhaust was fun, I wanted a see-though one, but the only version I have in my collection (and only one I know of like this) was on a DB hatch from an Athearn GP50. The prototype looks to have the thicker center bar.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1204666

I used another photo of an F40PH with a similar hatch to guesstimate the location of the new exhaust.
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=66595

And here's the "completed" work. I still need to install an AC unit, ditch lights, the center single lens light, and underframe details.
scax800_01.jpg

scax800_02.jpg

Installed an AC unit now. I used a Detail Associates one, but I had to re-do the top as the fan style was wrong.

Looks good! Can't wait to see it with the rest of the details.

I need to get some other projects done so that way i can get started on the GCRY #239 and #295. How well does that engine run? Are they worth putting in DCC? I have a Kato one already but am deciding if i want to spend that much to get a 2nd one.

Jeff, it runs well in DC, not sure how well it'll isolate though, the motor is a decently close fit. I'll find out once I get there, lol.

Thanks Jim! It's a work in progress, I have to say, I like the Walthers model twice as much as the Kato, just wish the drive was that of the Kato.

Let me know how you will do the ditch lights. No one makes the Amtrak-style housings for them. I have one that MGWSY did for me with OMI GE marker light housings on it (that project got shelved when I messed up the repainting of the loco)

Back