Methods for building structures.

sparkyftw

What is your favorite method for building kits. I have 2 kits to put together and I was wondering how I should do it.

Paint/weather the pieces first then glue it together?

What kind of tools should I have, besides lots of sharp blades.

Well, Dan, one thing to remember, sometimes paint does not look the same on some glued surfaces.

One way to do it is to remove the parts from the sprues and paint it first. then assemble it. Then either weather it or spray it with Dullcote to remove the plastic shine.

usually the walls and outside larger surfaces I paint after assembling, so that it blends properly. smaller details I paint while still on the sprue so i can hold on to them. Depending on where they are attached, i might have to touch up a bit after they are secured to the structure.

Dan,I like to build first even the smallest kit I glue from the inside out I found out this cut down on the glue maring the outside,I do all sub assy's first, paint and then carefully build it,just remember have the boom box BLASTING:D:D:D:rolleyes:
Larry

I have done it both ways, and it is usually easier to paint first, then assemble, then touch up, then dull coat/weather, then put the windows in.

First I'll assemble the main section of the structure (i.e. the four walls) so I can get the glue on unpainted surfaces for a stronger bond. Then I paint the window frames [if molded into the walls], followed by the bricks, then the mortar. After that I do everything else while it's still on the sprue, in case it may be hard to reach after the model is fully assembled.

For 100% styrene kits, I prefer Testors ModelMaster Liquid Cement, it's very easy to apply and it stays gooey just long enough to finagle the cemented parts into the proper position.

If I'm glueing styrene to some other type of plastic (such as butyrate), I'll use Plastruct's PlasticWeld. It does a great job of bonding two plastics, but it dries extremely fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget

Ok Dan I'll throw my 2 pennies into the mix,My personal preference,is to paint first,then assemble and touch up and weather.
But the most important part of the building a good ole plastic kit, is to wash it off first with warm soapy water,to get rid of any oils that might be hanging on from the injection process.:D

Mike

On the Walthers kits, I paint first, then assemble, weather last. The Merchant's Row kits are especially tedious to paint, and a bear to mask and get everything neat if you do it assembled.
Test fit eveything before you glue.

Back