metal freight trucks shorting out (ulrich)

tmbgeorge

Hey all, an intermediate ho scale modeller here. I purchased 6 pair of the Ulrich, fully sprung, all metal trucks (sideframes, bolsters, wheel sets). Had to do some filing to allow the bolster to freely move, and then fully assemble the trucks. Once mounted to the freight cars, i learned that they are now intermittently shorting out.....shorting most of the time actually. I am guessing the short occurs between the sideframe and the wheel. So....the fix? Should I file away a bit on the sides of the wheels? Not much meat on the sideframes, so that was my guess. Any advice? thanks in advance, tyler
Old style block control, 2 cab controls, double pole double throw switches, tethered speed controls for walk around. Yeah.....child of the 60s.

Don't file the wheels. Instead, take the trucks apart and paint the side that will have the insulated wheels on it with clear nail polish.

Also, just double check to make sure you have the insulated wheels on the same side.

oh.......so the wheels are insulated just on one side? I'm going to need a more powerful magnifying glass, lol. thank you.

Back