Mesh for filtering sand and stone ballast

These are a fair bit more expensive than kitchen strainers--apparently they are used with gold panning (or other)--but they do seem to come in specific grades.

You might find you have to force the grains through manually, and that could get tedious fast. In which case you might try rigging up some sort of motorized centrifugal force spinner--put the spinning filter inside a metal can, etc.--so the grains are sorted out using their own mass to help push or pull them through the mesh.

Could be someone on Youtube has already tried this idea out, for some other reason than model railroading. Maybe to filter sand to get the right sizes for sand painting or something like that....

Or you could break new ground yourself. And use a strainer when you do it. :p

have a source
I don't believe there is a source, per say, you just have to explore what is out there. Outfits like Precision Scale sell screen, but more for modeling purposes than sifting, unless you need a really super fine dirt. Here is a set like wvg_ca mentioned above.
IMG_0084.JPG

I wanted a specific size for a cinder load, so I took the awl and made bigger holes. This size in HO is 10" (+ or -)
That kind of restricts the use of the screen, but hey, they're cheap!
IMG_0086.JPG

Back