Members List

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
You know it's amazing how many people we haven't heard from for many months that use to write hundreds of posts & topics on this forum.
I spent about an hour going thru names & only made it up to the M's.
There use to be so many regulars it was hard to keep up w/all the news, but, I guess they have found other interests or hobbies or don't need any more info.
I'm on here all the time, because I know I have friends on this family forum & another thing; "I have the Time" because I'm RETIRED. This is my main forum, a place to trade secrets, a place to learn about the town or city you live in, a place to learn about the country you live in, a place to hear about your family, your new job or the one you lost, a place to see a ton of photo's about trains & a place to see who we are talking to all the time.
Ain't This Neat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where are all you guys & gals that we use to hear from all the time??????????

Larry(long winded old fart)

You know it's amazing how many people we haven't heard from for many months that use to write hundreds of posts & topics on this forum.
I don't really know if there's any one answer. The way things are going today it's possible many are trying to find some employment if only to exist. Hobbies are the first interests to be put into the background. Being retired I just watch our purchasing power slowly decrease, at 73 with my wife being handicapped, not too much I can do about it. Younger folks are most likely worrying and having a hard time of it.
A few years back I belonged to many forums (still do) but spend most of my spare time here and also "The Railroad Forum". Sometimes I see posts by members who have been away for awhile, they seem to make one post then disappear again. Maybe they discover the online friends they had here have also left. Disappointment? Maybe, hard to tell for sure. In my case with posting on those other forums I no longer have the time. Unless a person is planning, doing or running their RR, they have little to post about so they become quiet and lurk, then fade away. I guess most of that mono log is about me and my participation on other forums.
Anyone else want to take a guess.

Cheers
Willis

Willis, I think you've got it mostly right. There are other MR forums around and people will go from one to the other depending on their interests and if the forum is mostly about train or mostly about fighting. :) There are also a lot of what I call drive-by posters. They join up to get one or two questions answered and that's all they need. Even though they may still be a member, they aren't into discussions. There are also a huge number of lurkers, people who may read the forums regularly but never post. It may be because they feel too intimidated because they are newcomers or just practicing another form of armchair modeling until they can build a layout.

Since I'm also retired, I have more time to post than some. When I was younger, I never had time for either trains or train forums because I was trying to keep my family fed. I suspect that's a lot more difficult today. I feel blessed to have the time to do what I want now. Since I'm in the leading edge of the Baby Boom, I think we'll see a lot more interest in model trains again as the tidal wave behind me retires and starts lusting after trains again. :)

Since I'm in the leading edge of the Baby Boom, I think we'll see a lot more interest in model trains again as the tidal wave behind me retires and starts lusting after trains again.
Jim there's lots of interest out there, for instance just take the attendance to the train shows. Unfortunately a lot of attendees are of the armchair type modelers great plans but not willing to get started. Doing my stuff was on a shoestring budget, add to that that I have little idea of what I'm doing, it usually takes me awhile and requires much determination on my part.
Another thing that happens (not to me on this one) a member may go along posting his work and receiving the well deserved praise. Now no one (on this forum) and rightly so, expects a new Modeler to turn out craftsman quality models. However the new modeler starts seeing this craftsman quality work and feels that their work is not worth showing. Now when that happens it's a real shame, it's no ones fault and nothing could be further from the truth. I have witnessed these craftsmen make suggestions in the most discreet ways to help a novice with their work. I myself have been the beneficiary of such suggestions. I have only seen one of the craftsman type of highly detailed models refuse to help those less experienced (he's no longer posts here). Anyway some time this coming Winter (maybe it's here now) I'll have some of the new layout started, and I'm sure my work will encourage others not to feel intimidated. :D

Cheers
Willis

I'm still here. Haven't posted as much recently, but I have checked in at least once a day to see what's happening. I have been working on some projects, mainly for my Dad's layout. I might have a client interested in an addition to a layout that I built them last year. Making money at something you love to do is an added bonus.

I'll try and get some pix of my recent models. I've been working on a 7ft long retaining wall for the layout, the Green lane Bridge is almost complete (just another trip to the LHS for some parts), an arched stone viaduct for part of the Highline, and some other structures for my Dad's layout. Most of my time was taken up by researching for the clients project. Getting pricing and materials list together. I also made up my own business cards to help spread the word. Looking into getting a website up and running for the business. We'll see where that takes me?

Well it is a combination of people going through these tough economic times and maybe change of interests or change of habits in there hobby interests?

I do all my other hobbies in "seasons". I like to dive when I can in the summer until now but I will dive for clients through the winter but I keep it to the min. Fall time puts me in full swing of my 2 other hobbies drag racing and shooting. MMR and digi-photography has always been a main stay for me. In the spring I do my fishing from March until 1st week of June. So for me it is a balance of the budget for my hobbies. Most of my expenses go to MRR lately. Drag racing is costly but I have it down to a science without blowing the motor etc...this why I run in the fall to early winter then shut down. I never race in the summer. Too hot and hard on the car and me...lol. Shooting is just natural for me. I just go out in cool weather only cause I do not like being in the heat sweltering. I dont hunt any more since I moved back here to Florida so that is out. So all in all I guess it all depends on the individuals and their many reasons. I can say this is my home site for MRR.

Like all things, people come and go. Being retired I'm sure you've seen it more in other fields. Life is full of times when you meet new people and say bye to others. I'm just glad I was part of the first generation to be blessed with the ability to meet multitudes from around the world and country in the new media. Here and other sites different people poke their heads in, look for information, share their experiences, and offer their advice. Eventually all of us here will stop posting for whatever reason. I'm just glad have met the one's I have.

Eventually all of us here will stop posting for whatever reason. I'm just glad have met the one's I have.
And I hope eventually someone else will take our places. :D
Your post high lites two main but different reasons for participating. (1) Those who wish to gain specific information and (2) Friendship with the exchange of information. The 1st group even after a longer time will not have a very high post count.
Old codgers like myself will eventually just fade away. :D

Cheers
Willis

Hey all!

Saw this post and decided to reply ;) I come in to catch up with everyone a couple of times a week, but usually don't post. It is amazing how you can get caught up in people's lives here.
Chris...congratulations on your anniversary!
Steve...still wishing you the best in your job situation!
Jim...sounds like you had a blast at the game...I was wondering how the parking would be!
Rex...I still think Tuscaloosa is the best! How about some photos of those cute pups? (and I have absolutely no comment to make on your knees!) :D
Jeffrey...I hope your foot is healing nicely!
Everyone else (whom I enjoy reading as well!)...thanks for letting me sneak in and visit!

I am working 2 jobs right now and should be returning to school in January. Life is so flippin' busy sometimes...but as I said, it is nice to come in and enjoy, if not participate, in the banter.

To all...Happy Thanksgiving!

Sandy :)

I am working 2 jobs right now and should be returning to school in January. Life is so flippin' busy sometimes...but as I said, it is nice to come in and enjoy, if not participate, in the banter.
(3) reason :D
Reading is a form of participation, I do a lot more reading that posting, kind of mandatory for me :D
Nice of you to join in and say hello Sandy, take care.

Cheers
Willis

Hi Sandy, nice to see you again. I think you're a perfect example of why a person may have some time to read and not post much compared to me. It's tough going to school and working - I know, I did it for five years, plus had a wife and two kids. Even if the internet had been around back then, I would have about 2 extra minutes per day for optional activities and it wouldn't have been sitting in front of a computer. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also.

Saw this thread and I would like to say that I am one of the lurkers as I am not one to have a lot to say as you can see from my post count. I do know some of the people that post here from the other side of the street and my count isn't very high over there either. I look into the Coffee Shop and keep up with what is happening and I do see that everyone here keeps it civil in the main room and they seem to really try to help others out as much as possible. So,yes there are those of us that do prefer to lurk.
Duke

I'm still here. Things have changed for me in many ways. I spend alot of time now on history and photography. LGM and I have done a good bit of railfanning in the last year or so as well. This forum will always be my web home as long as ya'll will have me. The friends I have here and the great atmosphere are a high water mark for internet forums, IMHO.

One day, I'll return to model railroading with a newfound energy. Rex is the model for my layout/retirement plans. The only thing I may do different is start 2o years before retirement!

So,yes there are those of us that do prefer to lurk.
Duke
Hi Duke thanks for joining in. I wouldn't actually call you a Lurker, reviewing your posts, you seem to join in when you have something to say and that's not a bad thing. I guess the only other thing is that I hope you'd help other members when they are asking for info that you have knowledge of. (especially if no one else answers them)
enjoy the forum
Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
One day, I'll return to model railroading with a newfound energy.

Hi GM, yeah I'm at that stage now myself. I have a few more tasks to finish before I really get into it. Other than legs and the basic open grid work there's not much left of the old layout.

Cheers
Willis

I, too, read more than I post, since I don't always have something to contribute to threads even though they're interesting to me. I know the economy is tough in general, but I'm fortunate enough to be so busy lately with my marketing consulting business that my opportunities to post are farther apart than they used to be. (According to my login box, I haven't been on this forum since 11/04/08. I had no idea it had been so long!) As a consequence, I tend to post in "bursts", then seem to disappear for a while.

interesting thread.
since I'm new, I really can't contribute anything, but i'm full of questions.
BUT, there are a LOT of really great people here, who are SO willing to share their knowledge. So, I've been doing a lot of reading, and only posting now and again.
it does have a nice feel here. friendly, helpful without being overbearing.

sometimes, of course, life gets in the way of new stuff.
i'm really looking forward to inflicting all my photos, mistakes, and questions on all of you, when the time comes for me to get started. which will be SOON. I hope.

Back