Mellow Mike's Most Recent Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUT, that was not my maximum max bid. I just placed an early bid to see if Mr. Archer would respond. Unfortunately he did.

Besides, if I can't get it...I sure don't want to see it fall. I want it though. I'm usually a last-minute bidder anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mellow Mike said:
Klukey's gonna be pissed when he sees I didn't also block YOU from bidding.
I assume there's something I'm missing here...All I'm getting is that you block all other weatherers from your items? Or could it just be Kluke. Okay, I'll drop the subject.

$25.01. Hmm. Of course, that's a yawner for a Mellow Mike auction...but it'd break all records on mine. Hehe.

I have a hefty Blocked Bidder list. Normally, other Sellers are on it. I totally forgot about you though. I'm flattered that you covet one of my cars.

Hefty? I've got maybe four.

One must wonder why one would block so many bidder from bidding on one's auction.

uspscsx said:
One must wonder why one would block so many bidder from bidding on one's auction.

It's my auction. I'd like some say in where the car ends up, basically.

Plus, I don't want some other weatherer doing an autopsy on it. :mad:

Mellow Mike said:

Good point.

Thumbs up

Mellow Mike said:
Maybe I'm a control freak, too. :)
No, that's just good business sense. You've got something nobody else has and it's your golden goose until somebody else figures it out and wants to market it themselves.

Now if you were just a show-off like me and didn't kiss and tell, well, I'd have to book a flight to the Pacific NW to give you hell in person!;)

Now, I'll give you my reaction to the additional photos you posted, Mike (you can't wait, I can tell:D ). First of all, it's nice to see you do cars that aren't completely beat to hell. You do those as well as anyone I've ever seen, but your subtle cars are really demonstrative of your skill. Discipline, restraint. Sometimes it's the notes that aren't played that make a virtuoso shine more than the ones that are played, if you get my meaning.

That log load is pretty amazing. I don't know if it tops the scrap load in overall knock-out factor, but it's got to be pretty close. I hope somebody locally wins this car so I have a chance of seeing it in person, because I'm really curious to see the extra blue you pushed on the logs. I'm not sure how it comes off in person, but in theory it seems like a good idea, to sort of bring your own ambient light, if you know what I mean, by painting it in there.

I like the additional modeling you've been doing with your last several auctions. Some of your old Front Range models were proof that you could simply paint the illusion of detail rather than model it. I know of a few people who wondered aloud how good your models might look if you did do some upgrading. Well, now we all know, don't we?:)

Now, about using backyard twigs... I don't know if crape myrtle is a native tree in the NW, but I have a few in my yard and every winter when I prune them I get plenty of pulpwood load fodder. The bark grain is incredibly tight and with the right amount of touching up with some paint, it actually does look like birch pulpwood. Obviously, you can't just grab some post oak or piñon twigs and call it good, but some plants actually do work.;)

Anyway, I think I'm officially inspired enough to do that First Union bulkhead and the other bad ordered one it was coupled to in my photo. That is, after I finish my Louis-Dreyfus hopper...:eek:

So, there it is. Way to go!

Mellow Mike said:

Weathering autopsy? Intresting....

Ryan Harris, everyone. The hardest working man in snow business. :cool:

I love ya, man!

RCH said:
...it's your golden goose...

Honk if my cars make you horny. :p

...it's nice to see you do cars that aren't completely beat to hell. Discipline, restraint. Sometimes it's the notes that aren't played that make a virtuoso shine more than the ones that are played, if you get my meaning.

Hold on, I'm dragging Matt Johnson in here kicking and screaming... ;)

Some of your old Front Range models were proof that you could simply paint the illusion of detail rather than model it. I know of a few people who wondered aloud how good your models might look if you did do some upgrading. Well, now we all know, don't we? :)

Actually, my next two cars are centerflows that have been all Plano'ed out. And there is little or no weathering to distract anyone. Which, of course means that they will die a pig's death on eBay! But I just wanted to do something different for a change.

Just to jump in, I have always been impressed with the work you have done Mike, as an N scaler myself, doing weathering of my fleet, I would love to see you take a stab at some N scale cars, it would help me to see how one of the "professionals" get that constrained look to cars. I have been over at your site and grabbed some of the pictures for my future weathering projects, as well from Joe Shaw's pictures. I bet if you did a few of those "Normal Scale" cars you would be suprised at the results. I can't remember the fellows name, but he hangs at nscale.net and he has posted some of his n scale cars, they look great.

As a New Years resolution, play with a n scale Bethgon ;)

BTW Merry Christmas to everyone, and God Bless. (Count me as one of those politically in-corrects :) )

David,

As an N Scaler myself, people still get the wrong impression that I am an HO guy. Only because that's all I have done on my website. I've got a huge hoard of N stuff for my ultimate layout someday. It's tucked away in Xerox paper boxes - 98% of it untouched. The few things I experimented on, weathering-wise, are not worth showing anyone. They were adequate - but no where near my HO work - or the N work of the guys I idolize.... Bernie Kempinski and Rich Yourstone... to name a couple.

I do have a couple of cars that I will be doing, as a charity auction for a Katrina victim. Hopefully they'll bring him some money.

Mellow Mike said:
David,

As an N Scaler myself, people still get the wrong impression that I am an HO guy. Only because that's all I have done on my website. I've got a huge hoard of N stuff for my ultimate layout someday. It's tucked away in Xerox paper boxes - 98% of it untouched. The few things I experimented on, weathering-wise, are not worth showing anyone. They were adequate - but no where near my HO work - or the N work of the guys I idolize.... Bernie Kempinski and Rich Yourstone... to name a couple.

I do have a couple of cars that I will be doing, as a charity auction for a Katrina victim. Hopefully they'll bring him some money.

I couldn't imagine the pull of the n scale forces to not have all that stuff out of the box and on a layout ;) I have seen Berine's work, your right they are sharp. Let us know when you post those cars for the Katrina auction. Any idea what type of cars they might be?

dthurman said:
Let us know when you post those cars for the Katrina auction. Any idea what type of cars they might be?

A 60' Atlas DD Auto Parts boxcar (Southern) and some centerflow with graffiti.

Mellow Mike said:
Hold on, I'm dragging Matt Johnson in here kicking and screaming... ;)

:D

Okay, can't submit something less than 10 characters. These two sentences should suffice.

Mellow Mike said:

Sorry,Mike..I met a guy that is as good or maybe a tad better then you (in some areas) and his prices are very reasonable seeing that most of his cars are priced between $35.00 and $65.00..Cheaper if you furnish the car.
You need not worry..He doesn't do e bay and only sells locally.:D You see to him its not a business but,a hobby within the hobby.:D

Good luck!:D

BTW..I would hate to judge your work and his work in a contest...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back