Medina Model Railroad Museum photo's

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hi All,

Last Sunday, my wife shouted me out to the Medina Railroad Museum in Medina New York. This is reputedly the largest HO layout in New York State and, when seen in person, is remarkable.

The layout is under constant construction, with new parts being added all the time by groups of volunteers. Each part depicts a variety of scenes and the following (20) photo's show just a small part of this amazing layout.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

10.png

9.png

11.png

12.png

13.png

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

18.png

19.png

20.png

I took around 200 shots of the day, so these are just a small sample of what is there. If anyone happens to be in Up State New York, this is worth a visit, as was the 34 mile train ride from Medina to Lockport.

Cheers and hope you enjoy these,

wombat457

Medina..... One of those gotta see places! I have been there several times over the past few years and will be back there in September for the Lakeshores Division NMRA Fall meet.

The gentleman who was/is the driving force behind the scenery on the layout just received his Master Model Railroader from the NMRA. If you like the Medina Layout, you should see his home layout!

Just to give you an idea of the size of the layout at the museum, this photo was taken by me back in 2009. I am standing about 20' past the center point of the layout. Follow the series of lights down the center of the ceiling and you can get a bit of an idea just how large the layout is.

MuseumLayout04w.png

Great pictures! Here's a link for those interested: http://www.railroadmuseum.net/

Thanks for the kind words AND for posting the link to the Museum, I meant to do that myself :rolleyes:

And yes, it definitely IS the place to see, especially for us new guys to get ideas from and to simply "try" to understand the possibilities of this hobby!

Cheers and thanks for looking.

wombat457

I did some looking and came up with these bits of information regarding the layout:

The museum is housed in one of the largest standing wooden freight depots, built in 1905.

Its exhibits feature interactive displays, 6000 artifacts, memorabilia, photos, toys and a model railroad, all relating to the railroads of western New York.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

When finished, it will be an immense 204ft. long by 14ft. wide display.

Courtesy of http://www.railroadmuseum.net

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have been great to video the entire layout - perhaps next time :) And, Rico, I am with you on the airport. From memory, the airport was about 3.5 - 4' in length and close to a foot or so wide, but would be great to have :)

cheers,

wombat457

Back