Measured the loft today...

Like i said, I use the flex track. I lay out the curves, and use the "connect track" tools, either of the two, takes a little learning, to connect the curves, so I get nice sweeping curves with easments... Now to build the layout!

That Pennsy plan is very nice. Which John Armstrong plan is it from and what book can I find the plan in?

It's based off of a John Armstrong plan in MR book "The Classic Layout Designs of John Armstrong". It's the PRR Schuylkill Division plan. I modified it by mirror imaging it and then extending the upper left lobe out by approximately 3ft.. My dad wants to "Just run trains". I would like to get into more of the switching/operational aspect of the hobby. Although i do enjoy a good run around the layout every once in a while.
The space available is 13 x 16 in HO scale
Track key:
Blue - Mainline
Purple - sidings and yard
Green - Branch line

Also a useful website for Xtrkcad users is the yahoo grouphttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/XTrkCad/ The people there are quite knowledgab;e and helpful with the program. You'll need the registration code to upgrade the program so you can use all the features. You can find it in the files link.
happy planning

Ron

I've tried laying out the track. I place one piece of track and go to place the next one and the original piece moves....lol...It's like possessed or something...lol

Scott

I've tried laying out the track. I place one piece of track and go to place the next one and the original piece moves....lol...It's like possessed or something...lol

Scott
On sectional track, I found you have to select the track peice you want to lay every time you want to lay a new peice, BUT I've NEVER been able to get the 1st peice to stay, thus why i used the flex track tool in the 1st place, lol.

Did you go through the tutorials. they helped me alot when i firdt started. I was reluctant to look at them... you know guys don't ask for directions,right? Well, I broke down and watched them and referred to them in timed of crisis,hehe.

I just finished adding my dimensions for the layout. I will have to look into the tutorials.....
I'm one of those guys who has no patience and things have to work right away! lol....I know, this isn't the hobby for me then!

Scott

This is how my XtraCAD is set up. I circled the flex track tools I use. I also pointed out other handy tools. Extend allows me to edit the length of a certain section of track. Join creates a section of track to fill between two others. Connect moves the parts togeather (usually 1/2 to the oppsite part, so the both move).

When I approch an area I need a switch in, I pass it, then use the sectional (Peco, ME, or Atlas) and drop it where is supposed to be. It stays then.

Is this a different version? Mine doesn't look like that....and how do you get the grid to appear?

Scott

Okay, I'll have to look further into it. From your screen shot you sent it didn't even look the same as mine. I'm still watching tutorials.

Scott

Back