McAfee Warning

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I have been getting McAffee warnings when I open threads here lately. I don't want to take a chance on downloading anything, so I haven't continued on to the thread.
I'm getting this on my Droid as well.

I have been getting McAffee warnings when I open threads here lately. I don't want to take a chance on downloading anything, so I haven't continued on to the thread.
I'm getting this on my Droid as well.
What sort of warning? Have you turned off the active content?

I've received no warnings from Sophos (work), AVG (home computer), nor Web Root (notebook computer). I have not tried to access from any mobile device.

Last edited by a moderator:
People still pay for antivirus? Give the free version of Avast a try. I made the switch years ago and have never regretted it.

Steve S

People still pay for antivirus? Give the free version of Avast a try. I made the switch years ago and have never regretted it.
No one ever regrets their antivirus software until it starts consuming all the computer resources (like Norton provided free from my bank), or a virus gets through it. I re-evaluate security software each year as the viruses get smarter and the doors to come through get more plenteous.

I use, and have used NOD 32 and haven't received any warnings recently. None the less, with the emergence of hackers getting in here, and subcequently being banned, it wouldn't surprise me if something was going on

I used Norton for at least ten years without a problem...and I haven't received any warnings from Norton while using this site. Maybe the administrator for this site could offer some comments on the warnings that the others have received.

Thanks.

Greg

I have a script blocker installed on my computer. It activates when a site tries to run a script. As I look at the screen here on Modelrailroad forums the blocker isn't blocking anything, so my take on it is this site isn't running any pop up scripts.
Actually these pages are quite clean, it takes a hacker to get anything running on these pages, the banner adds are paid for and what you see is all that you get (Yes it's a link) but unless you click on it you get nothing from it.
Even when you go to a newspaper site they will be running many scripts on your computer, these scripts are necessary and are most likely clean (I allow their scripts to run because the blocker lists all the scripts that are running and anyone of them can be stopped. When you download and install the free stuff that's where you get the crap because nothing and I mean nothing in this life is free except your participation on these forums, the advertisers pay for that so you can be made aware of their sites and see what they are selling their present to you.
Gee I believe I'll copy this post to use again :D

Cheers
Willis

I use the free version of AVG. And recommend it. Google 2015 antivirus ratings. AVG is usually near or at the top. I would not recommend Norton (since they were sold to Computer Associates) or McAfee.

I only surf the web or get email on my oldest semi- retired computer. I have five other computers for my business that never go online. The oldest becomes the email/web computer when it is replaced with a newer, faster one for video and audio editing. The newer ones are on separate LAN network.

Never throw a computer away. It takes almost no "performance" to use it just for the web or email. If I ever get a virus, I just reload a hard drive image from an external drive just for that purpose. I have a quad drive duplication USB-3 box just for this kind of thing.

I have noticed a few weird things from this website lately. A obnoxious pop up for Tap-a-Talk sometimes comes up.

I had to over-ride my Mcaffee to get into THIS post. And it's tagging virtually EVERY post on this site....... I've been on the other laptop (out of town) , same virus scan, no problems. I'll have to try the desktop. The ad at the top of the page I'm on is for AVG......hmmmmmmm.

I am also receiving warnings from McAfee Security Center when I click to view threads here. It may well be a false positive that is peculiar to McAfee, but if this was my site (and I have created and managed many sites), I would be contacting McAfee to learn the details. This sort of problem will discourage users from visiting the site.

- Jeff

I have noticed a few weird things from this website lately. A obnoxious pop up for Tap-a-Talk sometimes comes up.
I used Norton for at least ten years without a problem...and I haven't received any warnings from Norton while using this site. Maybe the administrator for this site could offer some comments on the warnings that the others have received.

Thanks.

Well I'm not really an administrator, but I'd like to add this observation. The first thing to look for who is having the problems. If you have a Tap a Talk well yes you will have problems like advertising Pop Ups as it's another source of popup advertising for them that's why we don't allow the links to Tap a Talk. 2nd observation, who is having problems? The question again is what software do they have installed on their computers. As I follow this thread the problem seems to be mostly with McAfee software warning their users there is a problem that does not exist, now that is strange. There are two very good FREE antivirus downloads, AVAST and AVG. Try one and if you like it you can subscribe and then get all the bells and whistle protection they offer for a lot less than Norton or McAfee.
Cheers
Willis

I think it is quite likely that the warnings from McAfee are a false positive. Nevertheless, there are bad consequences that can accrue if the administrators of a site ignore the fact that users of one of the top Internet security suites are seeing scary red warnings about the site being unsafe.

Some users will heed McAfee's warnings and therefore stop visiting the site. We will all lose the benefit of their contributions.

Word may get around that the site is not safe. The site could even be added to lists of unsafe sites. That hurts the site and again may discourage people from visiting it.

Telling people to dump McAfee in favor of another security suite is a non-starter. Dell, to take just one example, provides McAfee by default on millions of computers that they sell each year. Many buyers have neither the knowledge or inclination to uninstall a security suite and switch to a different one.

If it was my site, I would want to find out why McAfee is triggering on the site and take steps to see that it stops. This is a wonderful forum, and I'd hate to see its reputation harmed in any way.

- Jeff

Well I'll try to contact the Admin with a link to this thread, afraid all I can do are the basics of tidying up threads and deleting spammers and that's plenty enough for me to do. The salary aint great you know :D

Cheers
Willis

I've tried dealing with McAfee before, it's hopeless. I will check for Tapatalk updates and install them.

If anyone can find an actual threat, even a link to a rogue site, let me know and I'll have a look at it.

OK, I've updated the Tapatalk plugin, let me know if you still see the error.

I still get the warning too. Also, when I'm using my Droid, I can only view these pages in potrait mode. The screen won't turn when I turn the phone to landscape mode. None of the other forums I visit are responding like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back