McAfee Warning

I still get the warning too. Also, when I'm using my Droid, I can only view these pages in potrait mode. The screen won't turn when I turn the phone to landscape mode. None of the other forums I visit are responding like this one.

What forum software are the other sites running? I'm using the latest version of VBulletin 4. It is my understanding that VB5 is a buggy piece of crap.

If somebody can find exactly WHAT McAfee is grumbling about, that would be very helpful. I'm guessing it's an ad of some sort. My ads are served by Google and while they usually vet them pretty well, occasionally one of the ads will link to a dodgy site, which may trigger the warnings. If I can find out the ad that causing it, I can block that advertiser.

So, I begrudgingly installed site advisor. When you're on the main page, it shows green, the site is all good.
Click on a thread and you get a red flag warning. So I clicked on the info page and see this:
The site is classified as "Malicious Downloads". What downloads? Not a clue, since it also says NO DOWNLOADS FOUND. How can the site be offering malicious downloads when we don't offer any downloads at all?!?!

Fullscreen capture 7232015 83009 AM.jpg

Yep, they still suck. Check out this screen.

To the right of "Request a Review" you'll see Welcome Bob Harbison | Log Out.

Just below that, you'll see "To register as site onwer, Log In"

Make up your mind, am I logged in or not? I've logged in 4 times, it still tells me to log in.

Screw this noise, I suggest you stop using this crap software.

Fullscreen capture 7232015 84220 AM.jpg

and...

McAfee Site Advisor switched my default search engine to Yahoo, without my permission.

Really getting sick of these idiots wasting my time!

I have 2 things going, NirSoft Smart Sniff, it lets you see IP addresses entering your system, although some firewalls can help block things, I am losing respect with zonealarm. I am co-running PrivateFirewall. Between those two I watch whats coming in and block suspiscious things. Try it and see if the warnings disappear. I have used AVG but since I have been getting a lot of false alarms from them trashing some things I have that are virus free, its uninstalled. Looking for a better antivirus. Zonealarm may find some things privatefirewall wont and vice versy so I let the cohabitate, seems to work.

What forum software are the other sites running? I'm using the latest version of VBulletin 4. It is my understanding that VB5 is a buggy piece of crap.

If somebody can find exactly WHAT McAfee is grumbling about, that would be very helpful. I'm guessing it's an ad of some sort. My ads are served by Google and while they usually vet them pretty well, occasionally one of the ads will link to a dodgy site, which may trigger the warnings. If I can find out the ad that causing it, I can block that advertiser.

I'm going to have to do some digging to find that out. Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Been busy with the trains yesterday afternoon and evening. Will get back with you later today.

I'm going to have to do some digging to find that out. Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Been busy with the trains yesterday afternoon and evening. Will get back with you later today.

Please let me know if you find anything. The rating I saw on the work computer says that we're a forum, and so, being a forum we must be offering malicious downloads.

How many of you have downloaded malicious files from this site? How many of you have downloaded ANY files from this website? If so, please tell me where you found them, since we don't offer downloads of any kind, malicious or not. (I guess you could consider photos to be downloads, but as I showed in the screen capture above, even McAfee says "No Downloads Found", while at the same time claiming we offer malicious downloads.)

So, I get to waste hours of my time trying to get this crap cleaned up. Thanks a lot, McAfee... Where do I send the bill?

I'm also having my web host do some security updates and checking for updates to Vbulletin. We'll probably have some short outages in the next couple of days while we do that.

I used Norton 360 for several years, and found it increasingly intrusive over time, (sort of finding things to justify my continued investment). When my IP, (Cable Company), provided McAfee free of charge I jumped on the opportunity. Mac basically took over my computer, slowed it down, and prevented numerous things from loading properly. Ultimately, I removed McAfee, and use the proprietary Microsoft program without issue. McAfee has truly deteriorated into the category of junk software.

"The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in ourselves, but in our stars".

I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like your faults lie in your own computer. My advice, after 35 years using, building, debugging, etc, is to uninstall all the firewalls, antivirus programs, clean my pc programs, speed my pc programs, etc from your computer. Then load AVG Free. Period.

If you're using a wireless router, you really don't need a firewall on your computer. I haven't run a firewall program in years. The firewall is in your router.

If you really want to run a firewall, run only one.

When I put a computer together now for my family, I load two programs: Firefox, because it's a superior browser, and AVG Free.

I've visited this site, and others, from my Mac and several PC's, none of which have ever complained about this site.

If you really feel that "they're out to get me", then hire a pro and pay him.

Bob, I think the warning is itself an ad.
I was using my wife's Windows computer on here this morning, and I suddenly got a warning from Macafee. Only problem is, we have Microsoft Security Essentials as the only security software.
I did some checking, and it seems Macafee self-installed some kind of security advisor along with the latest version of Java.

No, it's not an add. I've installed the app and I'm testing it. I've also submitted the site to McAfee for a re-evaluation. Reading in the VB forums, apparently they don't like forums, and so they've taken a "Guilty until proven innocent" approach. If I had more disposable income, I'd sue them for defamation.

I just got these messages on the top of the Active Topics page.

I also run Adblock Plus to remove adds.

Warning: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 91

Warning: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 153

Warning: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 220

Warning: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in ..../forum.php(791) : eval()'d code on line 7

Warning: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in ..../forum.php(791) : eval()'d code on line 202

Warning: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in ..../forum.php(791) : eval()'d code on line 222

Dale,

You wandered in during the upgrade process. I closed the forum just after you posted that and finished the installation. We're now running the most current version of VB. I doubt it will fix the McAfee errors, (Edit - Nope!) but it needed to be installed anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like your faults lie in your own computer.

No, this problem is due to McAfee site adviser. They don't like forums (some of them do contain malware and/or hacked programs). So they have decided that ALL forums are unsafe.

I've submitted a request to have them review the site. I am able to replicate the problem on two of my machines, both of which are clean. I also had the server host do a full evaluation of my server and they reported no problems were found.

The error appears to be reporting "malicious downloads" even though at the same time it reports that no downloads were found on the website. Just what I wanted to waste time and money on.

I'm still getting the warning on my Droid and when I click on "Continue to Site", my display goes to portrait mode only. That makes reading a post a little more difficult as I have to scroll back and forth to see both ends of the text line.
My desk top computer is fine now.

One of the suggestions for resolving this is to check with "Trusted Source" a website reputation website. (and apparently part of McAfee).

So I went there and check out it. The site ranks as green, with "Minimal Risk". So why are you giving folks a bright red "DANGER!" warning then guys?

http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/domain/default.aspx?domain=modelrailroadforums.com

Perhaps it is because other Anti Virus programs are also coming up with warnings as well.

Frankly, I don't trust McAfee or Norton or AVG anti virus software.

I use NOD 32 and don't get any warnings at all, NOW. Perhaps my software takes care of the problems better than the afore mentioned, I don't know. All I do know is other antiviruses, from other countries, are also bringing up warnings as well, and regardless of whether those warnings are false positives or not, I do think that all warnings need to be addressed.

As one person stated - if a new person joins the forums and is immediately confronted with these warnings, are they likely to return? Probably not.

I am not saying this is happening; however, turning a blind eye to the problem and accepting that these warnings are not real but an issue with a particular anti virus, is potentially detrimental. As I said, I no longer get warnings but I have a "LOT" of stuff blocked as well - not the least the advertising.

I should add that I not only use NOD Anti Virus (Paid version), but I also use the following:

Adgaurd (paid)
RegHunter (paid)
Spyhunter (paid) and,
Auslogics (paid)

The above have kept my system 110% Virus and Error free for over 15 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly is a sad state of affairs that people can generate viruses that will wipe out another person's work or steal a person's wealth and there is very little penalty if they are caught. There are very good tracker systems out there that are used to find the source of these problems but as it takes so long to bring a charge against a person then actually get it to trial and eventually sentencing, the resources stolen are long gone and the work destroyed can't be compensated for. The trouble makers keep bare assets available in the event they are caught so nothing can really be taken from them. That only leaves the option of lengthy prison sentences. Myself, I would like to see them hung by their keyboard cable.

Back