May Photo Contest!

Will I get brownie points if I do an old west Grande or will an SP Sunset work?

Oh, goodie, goodie, goodie.

What about composite pictures (note I did not say photos, since the result isn't), where in some cases most of the image is of real life digitally added behind some modeled element? Are they okay or not? And if so, what per centage of the picture must be model to still be okay?

I suggest two categories - one for a completely modeled scene, and another for those who don't model the complete scene, and count on image manipulation to make a convincing shot.

Brunton said:
What about composite pictures (note I did not say photos, since the result isn't), where in some cases most of the image is of real life digitally added behind some modeled element? Are they okay or not? And if so, what per centage of the picture must be model to still be okay?

I suggest two categories - one for a completely modeled scene, and another for those who don't model the complete scene, and count on image manipulation to make a convincing shot.

Mark, I'm cool with the enhanced pics. This is just a friendly contest but it would be nice if the photographer disclosed any digital enhancement in the pic's description. I know where you stand on the issue and can see both sides of the discussion. Let's let the members decide which they prefer, computer prowess, modeling skill, or a combination of both.

My own pic in the April contest used Helicon focus to help overcome my cheap camera's deficiencies...

grande man said:
Mark, I'm cool with the enhanced pics. This is just a friendly contest but it would be nice if the photographer disclosed any digital enhancement in the pic's description. I know where you stand on the issue and can see both sides of the discussion. Let's let the members decide which they prefer, computer prowess, modeling skill, or a combination of both.

My own pic in the April contest used Helicon focus to help overcome my cheap camera's deficiencies...
No problem, grande man,

I know one of the photos is more prototype than model, and thought it might be a good idea, even in a friendly contest, to remove the unfair advantage.

But if the only rule is "anything goes as long as something in the pic is a model," I'm good with that, too.

I have a question about the contest. I was wondering if you would allow a picture of a real pass train from the RC&BT.
Thanks,
Chris

Hmmm.....

My last post seems to have disappeared. As I said more briefly the first time around -

Based on my understanding of the rules, as long as you have ANY modeling in the photo, I think it's okay. Past entrants have built composite photos where most of the final image was reality, with some modeled items superimposed over the real-life image. So I think a real passenger train would be okay, as long as you added some modeled item to the image.

See the discussion near the end of the first page of this thread.

chrismoore93 said:
I have a question about the contest. I was wondering if you would allow a picture of a real pass train from the RC&BT.
Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris. The focus (no pun) of the contests is model railroading. I'd like to keep that as the underlying tone... :)

Back