May 28, Weekend's Here, What are You Working On??

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Well forum folks the weekend is here, another chance to relax and do some modeling. Myself I have a few projects on the go, changing an Athearn GP7 into a GP9, not too much of a challenge but still quite a bit of work. Put some lumpy terrain behind the sawmill and hopefully by Sunday midnight the hills around Pleasant Valley will be finished.
Cheers Willis
Hmm! photo taken earlier, lumps are not in this pic. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a bigger motor in?
LOL that's not going to happen.
What do you do to convert the 7 to a 9?
Hi Dan The glaring differences are slight, mainly being the louvres on the long hood side doors and the panels below the cab windows. About seven per side have to be filed off, and six more per side added in the proper locations. On the unit I'm modeling I had to remove the winterization hatch and put another fan on the long hood, and a strobe light on top of the cab and remove a lot of projections from the top of the short hood.
Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll "open" the F&CGR officially today with a visit from the grandkids. I'm still learning how to use the electronic stuff --- how to charge the batteries, etc. ;)

Yesterday I added more ballast and re-leveled about half the track. There was one place where the loco threatened to tip off the track and plunge three feet to the ground below the terrace. :eek: That was scary!!

I added more ballast and re-leveled about half the track.
Hi Claudia, would it be possible to add some crib work to keep the ballast in place? Can't find it now but someone posted some photos or a link where there was wooden barriers to keep the ballast in place, if I find it again I'll post the link. Guess I wont finish the project tonight, I watched a couple of movies last night with my wife. ( She hasn't seen that much of me lately, and I didn't want her thinking a stranger was in the house :D)
Cheers Willis

Well anyway at least this much is done, plus the lumps are added to the terrain back of the sawmill.
Cheers Willis

Wow! Good job!! You're making real progress. Yes, I saw the post you mention. I think you're talking about the layout that looked like the roadway is bordered with what looked like logs? That caught my eye, too --- very attractive.

What we (well, actually, Frank) did was to use plastic benderboard, split lengthwise and pressed vertically into the ground so that only about a quarter-inch is exposed. Ground cover should hide it eventually.

I still some track problems to resolve, especially at the turnouts. Of course, the derails always happen at the most inaccessible places. I felt like a mountain goat yesterday, crawling around up there. It's really fun to finally have the train running, though!

Willis, that area is turning out really well on your layout. Is "lumps" an official geographical term? :)

I have one suggestion concerning the bridge on the spur to the sawmill. Down the road from my house there is a similar type bridge crossing a river on a (now-abandoned) spur into a quarry. The bridge is all rusty with no discernible traces of paint, being a low priority for the railway. I'm just wondering if you should be making yours a little more "beat up" since there's not really a whole lot of traffic crossing that bridge?

Keep up the excellent work. :)

I painted an OO Engineer Bill to better demonstrate modeling the 1870's in OO/HO.

4-4-0_bill.jpg

An "HO" IHC 4-4-0, really an OO/HO model on the former On30 Pacific Coast Air Line Railway.

Model the 1870's using OO/HO at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/why/

Thank you if you visit and have a nice day
Harold

Is "lumps" an official geographical term?
LOL don't think so, it was sort of coined when I compared the smoothness of the terrain on my layout to Bill Kosandra's terrain. His looked real while mine was somewhat homoginized. I re did my topography by adding "lumps" of styrofoam and plaster to the flat areas before adding the ground foam cover. :D Yes both bridges have to have more rust, I just use craft paint very diluted with water, so it will take some time to build the rust up to look realistic. Paint on the prototype CB&CNS is also of low priority.

Thanks Claudia, yes I've been stuck in that corner for a long time now, just closed off the end of it with styrofoam last night, and then theres the top level :eek: but I think I'll start running a few trains first and kitbash another loco for a change of pace.
I like your idea of the plastic benderboard better, the log work looked good but not realistic, but one has do what they have to, to keep things in place and that probably worked best for them. I'm wondering about how much a 1/4 inch retaining wall will do to hold anything in place, I'm thinking it should be about 1/2" high. What problems are you having with the switches? perhaps we all could come up with some suggestions of help.
Cheers for now
Willis

I have done no model RR work for over two months. Look for my BIG PROJECT in ANPL, What I did on a long weekend

Kinda hard to watch the children thank goodness. They are 27 and 30 and do not live at hme any more YEAH.

WILLIS

The danceing chicken is awsome i would use it for a avatar lol :D

I feal like i have made some progress on my layout for the frist time in a long time my friend and i got the finale track plan for the yard. and we just started to lay som track on my main line. hopefully in the next two week ill have trains up and running (this is were i need the danceing chicken ) :D

The danceing chicken is awsome i would use it for a avatar
LOL copy it and go for it :D Glad to hear you got started building your layout, looking forward to hearing about your progress and some pictures I hope :rolleyes:
OK here are a few shots of what I've been doing. This has been a difficult area in that room was at a minimum. I just started filling it in with styrofoam, shaping it a bit and hoping for the best, I think it'll turn out ok. First a disclaimer, I'm no expert with scenery, I just try things and pick away at it till I'm satisfied, or someone points out the error of my ways. In all the photos you can see the lumps that were added to the back slope. One pic shows the first gauze patch put in position. Preparation of the gauze consists of spraying it with water, coating one side with drywall compound then applying it mud side down to the styrofoam, pat it in place and do the next patch and so on till finished. Neatness is not important, let it stick where it hits. Before cleaning up dip your fingertip in the mud and smear it over all the seams. Tomorow the soft spots (spots without underneath support) can recieve a finger of mud to stiffen them up. Any that's how I did it.
Cheers Willis

Back