Manufacturers paint/graphic errors

rgeiter

Conrail Quality
Let’s see what you’ve discovered.

For me it’s this. A friend of mine was so excited when he bought these Walthers Conrail Bethgons. Something didn’t look right. Do you see it?
9C59B27B-F567-470D-B55F-669E96882E24.jpeg

“Quality Conrail”...
Of course, I thought Atlas had made a mistake on an engine, but it turned out they had copied a reversed decal from the prototype. It’s hard to argue with them when they offer photographic proof.

Yes it's backwards but......The "C" is inside the "Q" so.... You don't have that problem with CSX just saying. 😇

On the BN Bethgons, they painted them as delivered. They didn't realize they were delivered in 5 car drawbarred sets and lettered them all 'A' so somehow you could end up with a train made up of just the first unit of lots of 5 packs. The paint was changed when the drawbars were removed and replaced with regular couplers. Here are a couple Bethgons. The one on the left has had the paint updated. The number, however, is wrong, it is from a group of Greenville triple hoppers. Bethgons start at 533401 so the car on the right should have an 'E' as the fifth car of the group of 5.
bethgons.jpg

On the first set of Walthers Bethlehem (BSC) 4000 cuft hoppers, all 6 had Pullman Standard numbers, including two that should have been double rotaries. There were only 2135 BSC car numbers to pick from, none were double rotaries.
Real 527475, notice trapezoid stamped in side panels, hallmark of Pullman Standard hoppers. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1830401
The model. The darker black on the rotary end is the shadow of my hand.
527475.jpg

Athearn did a great job with the lettering on SD40 BN 6303, even noting that on one side the road number was one door forward than on the other. Unfortunately, by the time it came to applying the "road number specific" lettering, it had gotten reversed so the number was too far forward on one side and too far back on the other.
Here is my corrected 6303 and a photo (from worthpoint) as Athearn delivered. Again, pardon the shadow.
6303.jpg
6303AD.jpg

And the real 6303, http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=36254

I will fix the mistakes if I can but as you can tell by the loaded hopper, sometimes I let it go. I might try to fix it someday but until then it will haul loads of coal from one end of my garage to the other.

Back