manual ucoupling

h44

whats the best tool for manual uncoupling? Rix makes one anyone have any experience with that one also how would you use a skewer to uncouple

The Rix works OK, but sometimes it does pull the cars off the track. As to the skewer, cut, sand, trim the tip until you have 4 flat sides on the point, and then insert the sides between the couplers, and turn. Sometimes you may need to add some slack between them to get them to separate properly.

I mostly use the Rix tool because I couldn't always get the skewer to work properly. You pretty much have to use it for tankers with "double-shelf" couplers. It does take a bit of practice to get it down right the first few tries, but after you get the hang of it, it is almost flawless. I've mastered using one hand to add slack and hold cars on the track while using it. However Carey, that's a great suggestion for modifying the skewer that really makes sense. I can't believe I had not heard or thought of it before now. Out to the train building to try it out!
willie

I use the skewer all the time. I just insert it in between the couplers, and tilt it towards me, works every time.

I also have the Rix tool, and I have found that it doesn't always separate the couplers. Some cars it works great, other cars it just doesn't. And its hard to get in between the cars too.

Get cheapo sharp-tipped bamboo skewer. I like 'em round, not chiselled at the tips. I pull in a bit of slack on the couplers, insert the tip vertically until there's noticeable resistance, and twirl rapidly in a clockwise direction, about 120 degrees is all it takes. I keep the shaft vertical. Simultaneously with the twirl, you nudge the cut apart. Works 80% on first try. Second try takes two seconds.

I purchased two many years ago and kept forgetting to install them....well...actually forgetting that I had them entirely. Still, no regrets. I love the manual operation of my railroad, including actuating all points rails by hand.

I have a couple magnet under the track uncouplers on my coal mine industry. Its hard to reach. It takes some practice but seems to work ok. People call it the kadee shuffle.

I have been using Kadee magnetic uncoupling magnets for over 20 years. The main thing you have to keep in mind when using them is that the couplers must be working properly and everything is set to their standards. Occasionally I have a car that doesn't want to operate properly and it usually ends up being a coupler that is not in specs or is not centering properly. I quick fix.

Forum:

I use KD under the track uncouplers and like said before, the KD couplers must be within specifications to work properly. One other problem with the under the track uncouplers is finding a consistant manner to identify their locations since they are hidden under the track and ballast.

Right now I'm using two wooden ties place perpendicular to the track, at the end of each uncoupler to indicate the uncouplers' locations. Looking for a better way.

Greg

Our club uses home-made hidden uncouplers made from 2 high-strength magnets on a piece of sheet steel. One feature that we think makes them better than Kadees is that they have a very short zone where they're active, which cuts down on unwanted operation. When the track is complete, we mark the locations with a dab of yellow paint on the end of the nearest tie. As you can imagine, this is workable with walkaround control, and you can't expect to see what's happening from across the room!

Here are three setups in a just-installed state:
http://tmrc.mit.edu/progress/reports/2013/10/IMG_3769.JPG

re: BEST TOOL FOR UNCOUPLING. I tried both the RixPick Cat. # 629-24 and the Kadee Tools 241. Found both work well. BUT A WORD OF WARNING: When looking downward on the pick, toward the coupler, BE CERTAIN YOU carefully twist any pick CLOCKWISE. Otherwise you risk damaging the coupler. Have no experience with a wood pick. DAVEBAR

Forum:

Right now I'm using two wooden ties place perpendicular to the track, at the end of each uncoupler to indicate the uncouplers' locations. Looking for a better way.

Greg

I noticed the Bachmann magnet comes with a little man which you glue near the location of your magnet. He is the guy that is uncoupling the cars.

lasm

Back