Mantua 2-6-6-2

SpitFireV12RR

http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-SCALE-TRAINS...ryZ19137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hello guys,

I found that on Tower Hobbies and then looked for it, cheaper, on e-bay. I really like it and since it's a logging train, it would go perfectly with my new layout, and fit the time frame well.
I want to know 1.) Is Mantua a good company and 2.) would it run on 18" - 20" curves? I really don't care about overhang...as long as it doesn't look like it was bought from walmart, I'm fine with it.

Thanks,
Spit

I've not seen it run on 18" but I've seen it and I would be surprised if it doesn't work. It looks better thatn Walmart quality that's for sure.

No, no, I meant as long as it doesn't look too "toylike" taking 18 - 20" curves...not the quality. I'll have to see if my hobby shop has it or if someone is selling it at the train expo next month. I also found this "review". I'll look for more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Spitfire,
I have a 2-6-6-2 and it doesn't look toylike on the curve because it doesn't really have the tender to make it look that way. As far as runnin it runs fine for me. However if you are really worried about the radius. Go bigger than that.
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
chrismoore93 said:
Hi Spitfire,
I have a 2-6-6-2 and it doesn't look toylike on the curve because it doesn't really have the tender to make it look that way. As far as runnin it runs fine for me. However if you are really worried about the radius. Go bigger than that.
Chris

If I could, I would! Does it take 18" curves without derailing though?

All I have now is an oval of test track for it but I am pretty sure it's 18". To be sure maybe you should check or call your hobby shop or Mantua if you can.
Chris

If I am not mistaken that 2-6-6-2T will operate on 18" radius curves because the front drives pivot on a hinge.
==========================================================
Chip,Those are nice looking engines that leaps and bounds above what you call "Wal-Mart quailty"..Those are Mantuas..These engines will last for years with proper maintenance.:D

Brakie said:
If I am not mistaken that 2-6-6-2T will operate on 18" radius curves because the front drives pivot on a hinge.
==========================================================
Chip,Those are nice looking engines that leaps and bounds above what you call "Wal-Mart quailty"..Those are Mantuas..These engines will last for years with proper maintenance.:D
Yes the front drives are on a pin but it can only move so much, almost like a big boy if you want to think of it that way. Most articulated models should have the front drives on a pin otherwise the radius will be huge:D

I remember running my RIvo Challenger and Cab Forward on some temporary EZtrack with 18" curves. The Cab Forward really looked bad, with the massive cab area being way out of line with the pilot truck.

On the flip side, the Challenger, which also having a big overhang, wasn't as bad-looking. Sure, the smokebox and the front of the boiler overhung, but it's supposed to do that; the front engine being pivoting underneath. It's a bad overhang, obviously, but, to me, it didn't LOOK bad.

Same with my P2k Y6b. It overhangs, but it doesn't LOOK bad to me. Maybe it's that big bandleader front porch that offsets it....

Kennedy

Back