Malibu 1:87 Paint Variations

SF 4th District

I recieved the rest of my Malibu International order last week. I recieved approx 1,000 cars in single paks, 5 paks and the car w/ caravan. There were 29 different models, I'll put up a list of them here if anyone wants to know what they are? Most of the models were evenly distributed as far as quantity, the models ranged from 2-5 colors each. There were a couple things that caught my attention. I noticed that some of colors were only in one of the types of packaging but not in any of the others.

1. The VW kafer (bug) had 5 different colors, I only recieved 1 in the color yellow, there were plenty of quantities of the other colors.

2. I always thought the real Chevy Bel Air had a 2 tone paint job. The upper rear quarter panels (fins) and the roof was one color (usually white) and the rest of the body was another color and I thought the regular Chevy (non-Belair) was just a solid color?

3. I do have 3 or 4 colors of the Belairs in the 2 tone paint job but there is also have some Belairs with a Black roof over solid red and Belairs with a White roof over solid red (fins red). I also have the 2 tone yellow Belair and some white roof over solid yellow Bel Air (fins yellow). Was it common for Chevy to paint Bel Airs like that in 1955?

I don't think any of the above is anything rare, I was just curious about it.
David

The 55 Chevy's were all available in two tone paint jobs.The Belaire came as you described and also with just the roof a different colour.

The 210 (I think that was the designation came in both styles of two tone and also monotone.

The 150 came in monotone or two tone with the roof a different colour.

My knowledge of this comes from walking by Friendly Chevrolet every school day in 1955 ,plus owning a large asortment of 55's over the last 40 some years. :D

By the way the two tone 55's could have the white (if that was the selected colour ) either as the top or the lower colour.

Back