Making your own Decals

Jerry, nice work on the engines and trucks. I'm not familiar with Mobile Cartage, they must not cross through in Windsor/Detroit.

Muskieman, I've got an Epson Stylus CX4200. If your printer does photo quality and has a DuraBrite sticker on it, you are good to go. If not, be sure to let the decals dry completely before sealing them. I used to use a hair dryer on low to speed up the process. I'm impatient some times :rolleyes:

What do you seal them with?

Testors Dull Coat in a spray can. I've also used Satin finish and Gloss coat. What ever I have on hand. It doesn't seem to matter what you seal them with, as long as they are applied to a gloss surface.

Some of the Decal making kits come with their own "special" sealer, but any clear coat works fine.

Different people use different products for that. I use Krylon clear spray. I've heard people mention Future floor finish. Some of the new ink swear they are waterproof , but I haven't tested that yet.

I've use Testor's decal bonder, its slightly different then paint, as it supposedly seeps into the decal film, and well basicaly makes decal film. It works, but requires thin coats.

Well like I said above I took pictures of the actual truck. For manipulation I use Paint Shop Pro. It has alot of useful tools for a good price at the time. Since Corel bought them out the price went up a bit.

Different people use different products for that. I use Krylon clear spray. I've heard people mention Future floor finish. Some of the new ink swear they are waterproof , but I haven't tested that yet.

Funny all this talk about the Epson printers. When my HP crapped out, I bought an Epson printer specifically because the inks are supposed to be waterproof. I don't know that I've given them a proper chance to run - I coated the decals with Microscale liquid decal film and let it dry before dunking the decals.

You mention Future floor polish. I used that as a clear coat to seal the Peterbilt and North Dakota license plate decals on this model, which were created in Photoshop and printed using the Epson printer on Microscale white Trimfilm:

large.jpg

EPSON... Waterproof???
Really???
I use a CX3200 and it seems that the moisture in the air leaves spots and runs on anything I output from it. Are these "Special" ink cartridges???

I'm NO fan of Ink Jet for this reason. IF and when I get a new table top unit, it will be Laser. I had a laser years ago and LOVED it. When it went bad, I bought an Ink Jet because of the cheap cost for the printer. And I needed one FAST. I've learned my lesson and only used it now to print out temporary things, Stuff that is "Throw-Away" copy. Or for Camera Copy in the Shop.

Scoot

Last edited by a moderator:
EPSON... Waterproof???
Really???
I use a CX3200 and it seems that the moisture in the air leaves spots and runs on anything I output from it. Are these "Special" ink cartridges???

I'm NO fan of Ink Jet for this reason. IF and when I get a new table top unit, it will be Laser. I had a laser years ago and LOVED it. When it went bad, I bought an Ink Jet because of the cheap cost for the printer. And I needed one FAST. I've learned my lesson and only used it now to print out temporary things, Stuff that is "Throw-Away" copy. Or for Camera Copy in the Shop.

Scoot

I wouldn't say water proof. But the DuraBrite inks are water resistant. Unlike the pictures I've printed with my HP that ran from the condensation on the glass in the frame.

I would love a laser printer, but the toner costs are too expensive. May as well go the full monty and get one that prints white. Too bad the Alps printer is not longer made.

Nice work on that truck, Ryan. What scale is it?

My HP Photosmart printer inks are not waterproof but they are pretty smear and moisture resistant. As long as I let the decal paper dry for about a half-hour, I've been able to use Krylon Satin in a few thin coats and not have any problems with the decals looking any different than they did on the paper. Scoot, I know you have a lot higher printing standards than I do but I wouldn't write off all inkjet printers as just for "throw-away" copies. I've printed very small street signs on thin cardstock and the printing was very sharp and clear. I think the key is to get a printer that's made for photos, not a general purpose inkjet. The killer is the cost of ink and paper if you're doing any more than a sheet or two of decals. I imagine the cost of toner in a color laser would be even worse.

I've always used Epson printers ever since I started printing my own decals, because of their DuraBrite ink (as Fred mentioned). I never had any problem with dried ink running or 'bleeding' when covering it with the Testors decal bonder.

I just ordered a new Epson R380 , now with Claria ink ? I'll find out what their new ink is like. Will review that printer and ink when it gets here in a couple days.

Nice work on that truck, Ryan. What scale is it?

Why, HO scale of course!

It started out as a Malibu "Peterbilt" and with some work became a better approximation of one. Call it my "silk purse out of a sow's ear" project, although it's nowhere near as nice as the Classic Mint Peterbilt that inspired it.

To avoid hijacking this thread, I'll post a new thread showing the model in a couple minutes.

Back