Making mountains

I'm currently making my mountain on my layout using the cardboard strip method and covering them with plaster infused gauze. My question is, do I need to cover the plaster cloth with plaster in order to paint and fill my mountain with scenery or can I paint over the cloth

I covered mine with plaster of paris. It gave me a better finish coat and more to work with.

you don't have to cover the plaster cloth with plaster, just water ... but covering it with a thin coat of plaster will give a smoother surface to work on .

If you don't mind the waffle look, go with the card board strip method. I used blue foam board for the my mountain base then covered most of it with screen then the plaster spread over that.

0808162120.jpg

To get rid of the gauze texture on the plaster cloth I used spackling paste. I wore disposable rubber gloves and just globbed it on, then dipped my fingers in water and smoothed it out. You only need a thin layer. It works well and isn't as heavy as drywall compound or plaster. The brand I used is Red Devil Pre-mixed Vinyl Spackling.

Foam is probably the easiest ,personally I don't even bother with plaster , just a nice thick coat beige or med brown latex paint , the open cell foam gives it some texture.

I have used plaster and web method and it works , The thing that gives the best results if probably craft paper , you wad it up and then stretch it back out and lay it over the web/ substructure . It gives a nice random rocky effect.

I quit using plaster because you end up white bits everywhere and it drives you nuts trying to cover it all up.

A lot depends on the area and terrain you trying to model as to which technique to use.

I used the card board stuff on a previous layout and after a few years the cardboard started to rot and made a bad smell in the basement.

An unsolicited tip: pour some cheap tan or grey latex paint into your plaster as you mix it. Should the plaster chip you won't have a white spot in your scenery and the chips look like talus.

Back