Making Decals with a Jet Ink Printer

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I am considering making logo decals for the layout using a Ink Jet print. Have any of the Forum members made decals and what products, methods do you use and what problems did you encounter during the process.

Below is a sample of the logo I'll like to make at home.

Thanks.

Greg

CM&NR Logo November 26, 2018 (640x271).jpg

I haven't done it myself, but recognize several caveats with ink-jet printing:

1 - can't print white
2 - ink jet ink colours aren't necessarily very opaque, and may not end up having the desired result when applied on a coloured or dark background
3 - ink jet inks are often water soluble, so you'll need to seal the decal after printing and before trying to use it or the ink will all run off when you wet it.

For 1 and 2, you might be able to go around it by printing on white instead of clear decal paper and carefully trim the decal right to the edge of the logo when you cut it out.

Hi Greg;
I have made a lot of my own decals on my HP inkjet using Testors white and clear decal paper. For the most part they have turned out pretty well. The only tips that I can give you are to make sure to give the ink plenty of time to dry and then to seal the decals with Dullcote. Do not apply too much Dullcote or the decals will be too thick and will not conform to contours very well.
Here are a few examples of mine:

22051210_1971783693034473_363267390315198202_o.jpg

22459534_1978110352401807_6766978751158026476_o.jpg

14563580_1805384616341049_2947262591443150552_n.jpg

Jerome - I have only ever used Dullcote, so I don't know. I always apply a coat of Dullcote to my models after the decals are applied to seal the edges and give a slightly weathered appearance.

I use clear and white decal paper I bought on amazon. Much cheaper than the Testors and comes in full sheets unlike the Testors half sheets. I use testors Decal Bonder spray over the printed decals and after affixing to model they get a coat of Walthers Solvaset decal setting solution. this allows you to move them around a bit and softens them so they sit tight against model. Here's one I did ecently for an RC plane I built. This is printed on white paper and carefully trimmed to size.
IMG_2574 (Large).JPG

My first thought to this question was a re-sounding NO!
Obversely, I had NO idea this could be done.
Never too old to learn something new!

Jerome - I have only ever used Dullcote, so I don't know. I always apply a coat of Dullcote to my models after the decals are applied to seal the edges and give a slightly weathered appearance.

Gary, I was always told paint, gloss coat, decals, gloss coat. Dull coat for a final finish if you were modeling an older unit that you didn't want shiny new. I am looking at your SD40-2 #5396 decals. They have that ghosting behind them. Using this NS unit I did as an example of paint, gloss, decals, gloss, then weathering etc. Then the CSOR unit as an example of paint, gloss, decals, gloss, dull coat, weathering.
100_1665.JPG
That's why I was asking about using dull coat as a sealer on decals.
100_4708.JPG

Jerome - what you say makes sense. For my next project I will try a gloss coat and see if it gets rid of the ghosting.

Thanks

Gary

Back