Making a track plan.

csxmu

X-CSX modeler
I have been modeling for about 5 years now , and I have yet to produce a track plan( computer generated ) other than sketches I have I would like to learn how ! I tried RTS 5.0 but wow!!:confused: :confused: :confused: it never does what I want it to *#!$&@ do!:mad: I have used programs like auto cad before and I think this program(RTS) is hard to use. What does MR use for their plans? Are there any EASIER porgrams to use?

I don't know about easier, but ther are better. XtraCAD, I think, is a variant of AutoCAD so you should be able to pick it up fairly easily. I did just using the tutorials. It is much more intuitive than either Atlas or 3rd Planit and of course it is free.

Where do I find this great marvel of track planning?

What program did csx road slug use here is his plan. This is nice!:D

layout_sm_20051105_w_access.gif

Hi Josh,

The track plan in the graphic above was done using AbraCAData 3D Railroad Concept & Design, now it's marketed under a different company. But if I'd known about XtraCAD 5 years ago when I first started planning this layout, I think I would have gone with that. A lot of people in this forum use XtrCAD and seem happy with it.

MR uses a proprietary system to generate their trackplans. Somebody wrote a letter to the editor asking about it in a complementary way, and Executive Editor Andy Sperandeo said it was a proprietary system.

It seems pretty cool, and I really like the plans it generates.

Kennedy

I got the XtrackCad program, did the tutorial thing, got excited about about starting a plan, then discovered I didn't have any parameter files for any of the track and companies they said they had for the program. Is there a seperate set of files to download for all the track? :confused:

They come with parameter files, but you have to add the ones you want in your directory. I use Fast Track turnouts so I added NMRA turnouts. I also added Fleismann turnouts because they have the most fancy trackwork like I might custom build. I added all the structures.

Go to Files/Parameters then click browse. Select the company and code of the track work you plan to use.

Chip: Found the parameter files after I posted last night. Tried to load the ones I wanted into the hot strip for the drawing I was starting but still couldn't get it to work :confused::mad: Will try some more today....thnx for the help. I like the looks of the program and what it will do, so hopefully I can get it figured out.

Back