Maine railroads

maine central

Yes this is the user named boston and maine my user name was inop so I created this one.
This is my question, drove to Maine and found the following:
Maine Central
Bangor and Arrostock BAR
Springfield Terminal Guilford
St Lawrence Atlantic Railway
Boston and Maine
These tracks sometimes interconnected on the topos as well as running parallel to each other. Modeling a town such as Auburn and it has a lot of small turnouts as well as small yards scattered through it, how do I do this?
Do I model one name or can I mix it up?
Dave

Yes this is the user named boston and maine my user name was inop so I created this one.
This is my question, drove to Maine and found the following:
Maine Central
Bangor and Arrostock BAR
Springfield Terminal Guilford
St Lawrence Atlantic Railway
Boston and Maine
These tracks sometimes interconnected on the topos as well as running parallel to each other. Modeling a town such as Auburn and it has a lot of small turnouts as well as small yards scattered through it, how do I do this?
Do I model one name or can I mix it up?
Dave

Many (if not most) people will model an area that sees traffic from multiple roads. That way they can run engines and rolling stock with a variety of styles and paint schemes. Strictly modeling one road could become 'boring' if your road only has one or two paint schemes or engine styles. If operations are the part of the hobby you enjoy most, modeling an area with connecting railroads will allow you to do interchange/exchange operations as well. This is especially common when you have several smaller railroads in the same region, versus something like the PRR where, in many cases, a car could actually make its entire journey from point A to point B without leaving 'home' trackage. Modeling a couple smaller roads will 'force' you to do more interchanges to get your car from point A to point B, which could make your railroad more interesting.

IMO, multiple roads would be the way to go. But bottom line--it's your railroad, so model what you think you'll enjoy the most. :)

It helps to refer to proper names if you are looking for info on prototype railroads. "Arrostock" as you wrote it should be "Aroostook".

Back