Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Yesterday's mail a few things came in and a couple of days ago I got my sanding tower.

20221203_130546.jpg
20221203_130537.jpg
20221203_130624.jpg

20221130_194527.jpg

20221130_194541.jpg

I would like to get a few more of the Pan Am cars but they are hard to find and expensive. I paid way to much for this one I think it was 35 bucks. Grrr....but I had to have it. It would be nice to get 3 more of these. Time will tell,

The E8/9 unit I got for 50 bucks and I already had #949. I will be adding new gears which I have and adding DCC. Sound maybe....we will see. My #949 is a solid runner and has DCC. I also have the EMD demo E unit too.

The sanding towers I paid 15 with free shipping no one else bid on it lol cool! Sticker was 17.98 lol

Well that is it for now. Later!

Well my highly anticipated package from Steel Mill Modelers Supply showed up. While I have many detail parts Kevin has made and I have purchased over the years, this is my first disappointment. Lots of broken off parts, all fixable or hidden from view but…

These were purchased for my Paper Mill and Biomass plant. They will get there eventually. Just not as soon as I wanted.
2D1E19FC-B9E5-49FA-AB56-F6C5C03ADB7A.jpeg

James - Nice score from the train show. I really like the Tomar bumpers. They currently seem to be in short supply, at least my LHS hasn't been able to get any recently. I haven't checked E-Bay though.

Willie - I bought all this guy had I wished he had more! I paid 3.00 each for them (5 for $15 bucks) I thought was a good deal not sure if it was??? I do like how they look and I will be weathering them or painting them etc,

Willie - I bought all this guy had I wished he had more! I paid 3.00 each for them (5 for $15 bucks) I thought was a good deal not sure if it was??? I do like how they look and I will be weathering them or painting them etc,
James, if the price was good for you it’s a good deal. I have to check, I believe I have similar ones.

I like to use the wheel stops you asked about a few weeks ago.

James, if the price was good for you it’s a good deal. I have to check, I believe I have similar ones.

I like to use the wheel stops you asked about a few weeks ago.

TomO

I actually had no clue if the price was right or what but I wanted them 🤣

I am still looking for some decent wheel stops and have yet to purchase some. Lately I have been looking at what the locals around here use. Like th photos I shared 2 weeks ago...

Speaking of not needing more trains, these arrived the other day. I actually needed a new motor for a GP60B I picked up at a show a few weeks ago, and fortunately there was one on sale during the post-Thanksgiving cyber specials. Of course, no one wants to pay for shipping for just one item right? So I poked around and found a couple coalveyor hoppers from the same online store. I already have a dozen plus of these hoppers in WEPX (Wisconsin Electric Power Co) markings, so a few more would add some variety to that unit train.

CIM is the Chicago & Illinois Midland Railway, a small railroad operating from 1888 to 1996 and hauling almost exclusively coal. The RR never served Chicago itself; the name comes from the two power companies that owned it for many years-- Chicago Edison and Illinois Midland Coal. By the 1980s, when these coalveyors would have been in service, CIM was running coal trains from the Powder River basin in WY to power plants in central Illinois. I figure it wouldn't be too unreasonable to see a few CIM hoppers on a WEPX train going east towards the midwest. CIM was bought by Genesee & Wyoming in 1996 and is now known as the Illinois & Midland RR.

Oh and the motor replacement went well. That's actually the first time I've done one of those...I think. Fortunately the motor just dropped in with a little bit of wiggling the mounts to get it to fit just right. And I only had to re-solder one wire that I broke in the process. 🤣 But now that GP60 runs smooth again.

IMG-5633.jpg

Loot from Scale Model Supplies and Hobby Lobby,

spent a few bucks on little stuff

View attachment 157513

View attachment 157514

Got some stuff I have needed for a while, also Wife picked out some goodies

Dave LASM

OK Dave I was looking at your loot! Question! Second picture....there is a small bag that is labeled Stevens International with what apears to be some yellow dots? What are those? I am curious!

OK Dave I was looking at your loot! Question! Second picture....there is a small bag that is labeled Stevens International with what apears to be some yellow dots? What are those? I am curious!
they are actually yellow ducks that the wife picked out to put on one water feature. Will have to get some paint on them will post on the coffee shop, don't think they will be yellow, however

That Intermountain ES44AC is a beauty! It is a real runner too! I have 3 Intermountain ES44AC now and they are just fantastic!
I hope this one goes as well as my other's, this was my choice, he also had a Athearn RTR BNSF AC4400, this one won simply because it's has the Heritage scheme. This is my third Intermountain, I now have two 44AC's and one 44DC, I'll look at getting another 44DC next year. I really need to learn how to do consists now with these three.

Just checked, it's got as far as the USPS in Halethorpe MD, don't think it'll be here before Christmas tho':(

I've always thought the Proto-1000 was the most under appreciated line of products.

Don't know if anyone likes my stories or not, but way back when....

I was in Caboose Hobbies (the real one in Denver on Broadway) and encountered a woman looking for a train set for her son. Thankfully she was not buying a prepackaged set, but had pieced together a DIY set, and was working on the locomotive. She had narrowed it down to three, and asked me what I thought of them. They were horrible. As I recall a standard toy line Bachmann, a Model Power, and something as equally toyish. I asked her what the criteria had been, and it was simply road name. Seems her son wanted "Rio Grande". Sure enough being in Denver, the Rio Grande was very popular and there wasn't anything good in stock.

So I looked the three over and answered her question directly, "BUT", I said "for the same price there is this locomotive over here in the clearance rack." I explained any one of the three Rio Grande would be noisy, run jack rabbitsh, need to be pushed often, etc., and I thought her son would really, even if he didn't know it, like a better quality loco even if it wasn't painted Rio Grande. I took her over the the clearance rack and showed her the Proto-1000 that was there for $40. I think it was an Alco F AB or F3 AB set decorated in some eastern scheme (Pennsy or Western Maryland maybe). Anyway, I said perhaps it would spur his imagination to explore more of the railroad world and for certain it will run so much better than the others. She listened to everything I said and indicated that sounded like a good idea.

Just in case, my final comment was something to the effect of, "If you decide to buy this one, and your son really hates it or it doesn't run as well as I said, then I'll buy it from you, and you can come back and get one of those other ones". I gave her my business card. Never heard from her, so I don't know the real ending of the story.
Since the original Caboose Hobbies went out of business, there really isn't a good LHS (IMHO) in the metro-Denver area. The people that bought the Caboose name never carried as much. Then, the pandemic hit and that was the end of Caboose. Now, there's one way up North off of Wadsworth, and another off of Havana, which doesn't handle model railroading exclusively. Detailing parts are minimal in both places. Sad.

Back