Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Two more modules, these will go in a couple Atlas GP38’s
AC25A67D-5B69-41CD-A1C0-A79DC4CCBD20.jpeg

D6038AAC-B497-47B0-A9B3-007AB84653AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Evening all!

So as I mentioned in the coffee shop today I won another "Ducky's" custom car. The Bush Funeral Car. This will be my 3rd version of this American Flag baggage car UPP 5769.

The 1st pic is the Bush Funeral version that I just won. Notice the decal of the Presidential shield and the casket and the Marine figure in the car. Also on the day of the funeral they had the special glass in sert as shown this model on one side. The other side at the day of the funeral train had the door BUT both sides had custon red curtains installed on the inside that the Marine pulled closed at various time during the journey for changes etc.

bush.jpg

s-l1600 (12).jpg

the 2nd version of this same car is also done by "Ducky" as well.....this is considered the UP heritage day scene etc. Notice the doors are cut and are half panels, people and LEDs etc.

20220504_003014.jpg

the 3rd car is the standard version with the doors closed.

standard.jpg

So there ya have it........ that completes my collection of the various uses of this car by Union Pacific at this time. Who knows if I will gain another scene for this car or not?

I was ebay shopping and found this Varney 10 wheeler for parts, price was good and piqued my interest so I put in the bottom bid and won it

new locomotive.jpg

This is my third Casey Jones, I have another parts loco also one I refurbished and runs on the layout daily.

This one came with most of the parts as well:

parts package.jpg

This buy came altogether unexpected. The loco was never assembled, they started but did not get very far, looks like they broke one of the drivers and a couple small parts are missing.

The motor is new and never run. This is about a 50 year old locomotive. The tender it came with is junk from another kit, looks like it melted in the sun or something.

Amazing how this very model went through several iterations visible when comparing it to my 2 other ones. The details are a bit more crisp on this one. Not sure if I will make a new loco from the junkers (I have all the parts to do it) or just take the best of this model and upgrade the one I currently have.

Also bought some details for the layout:

details.jpg

Unpacked this little panel truck will be my next build

ford truck.jpg

Dave LASM

Seems the What are you buying this Month? thread and this have somewhat of an overlap. Just saying.

Not like where my belly overlaps my belt.......you know what I mean.
Yeah that is redundant ....this thread was created long before the other one was done and the Owner/Moderator Bob approved this thread, as I started it and he added the picture for us.

If I was a moderator I would take the other one down or close it.

Yeah that is redundant ....this thread was created long before the other one was done and the Owner/Moderator Bob approved this thread, as I started it and he added the picture for us.

How do others feel? I think the RPO thread should stay.....just my 2 cents.

Bottom line gentlemen is this - you have a choice, you can post in the What are you buying this month thread OR you can post here OR you can post in both OR you can post in neither. The other thread has been up and running for some time yet only now do you choose to question it???

So far as I am concerned, they both stay as neither are hurting anyone or anything.

What you are buying and what you get are two different. With today's mail service you may plan on getting it this month but it might not show up for 3 months later, just ask Terry about it.
I have to agree.
I bought some Tomar LED marker lights on April 8. So I post on "what are you buying" thread.
I have never even received a notice that they have been shipped by April 25..
Outlook is, I may never get to post on the "What did you get" thread.
So I am now seeing the difference in the two threads. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

So, go out and have your own self a great day !

Update on April 27. I had to go through PayPal for a refund on my Tomar Marker Light order. So they won't show up on the RPO thread.

Last edited:
Just came in the mail this jib crane kit, oldy but goody, includes details I want to use in my Quarry, most notabally the pullies and other hardware:

crane 1.jpg

Found this on ebay, cheaper than buying castings individually

crane 2.jpg

I am bidding on another one as well, may build one according to plans, kit bash the other one to create a different style

crane 3.jpg

Will add lots of detail to a scene I am planning...

Here are the structures I will be making, these parts will be a big help

cranes.png
cranes.png

having too much fun, Dave LASM

Just came in the mail this jib crane kit, oldy but goody, includes details I want to use in my Quarry, most notabally the pullies and other hardware:

View attachment 167283

Found this on ebay, cheaper than buying castings individually

View attachment 167284

I am bidding on another one as well, may build one according to plans, kit bash the other one to create a different style

View attachment 167285

Will add lots of detail to a scene I am planning...

Here are the structures I will be making, these parts will be a big help

View attachment 167286View attachment 167286

having too much fun, Dave LASM
That looks like an amazing build, Can't wait to see you do this one.

this came in today.....

here is the prototype first......

SP 7342a.jpgSP7342row-1.jpgSP7342wal-1.jpgsp7342.jpg

I did not get the original packaging unfortunately....I was disappointed but knew that was the case. It survived in the mail with the engineer side window sill came off, easy fix and the front plastic coupler broke which I would have changed anyways....

This is a DCC Ready model from Athearn. I am guessing this is this model number as I do not hink it is the new version with LEDs but I will soon find out.

Athearn RTR 93587 EMD SD40 Southern Pacific SP 7342.......

s-l500.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

I stole these images off the internet to find the box information, it is either one of these 2 model numbers.......like I said it depends if the light are incandescent or LEDs that will determine the correct model number. I think it is the 1st release with oiut LEDs. Ir does have DCC ready plug....

1_586bb90f27b3c43fa7818fe2b2fcb643.jpgSP 7342.jpg

I had seen the advertisements for these, but the price scared me away. Then Factory Direct had their year end inventory clearance and for some reason these were included. Set of 4 with all different road numbers. All of them are route of the Texas Chief paint scheme on the one side.

Prototypically they fall right at the end of the time period I am modeling, so once again I don't have to make up fantasy scenarios. They are early mechanical design such that they also have ice hatches. I guess the mechanics weren't trusted? I do remember seeing cars like this in the North Yard in Wichita as late as 1972.

These are my first Rapido freight cars, so I am looking forward to how they run / roll.

View attachment 165657
Got three more cases of the reefers. So 12 more cars in 3 different paint schemes "Super Chief", "San Francisco Chief", and "El Capitan". All unique road numbers. Now to find out if these were mixed in trains with the older ice hatch, or if they kept them separate.
20230426_144302[1].jpg

Back