Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

My weekend is taken I think, never built on of these before, so should be fun.

20220106_165320.jpg

This thread would pertain to any Model Railroad related items you ordered and received for your MRR or other.

One can't live near Hutchinson Kansas and not have some way shape or form a model of the salt mine stuff. Since I saw the Morton Salt plant at Menards three years ago I decided I wanted to do it for the Christmas display. Still haven't gotten the plant. When I first saw it price was $98, and I hesitated. Went back to get it and it was gone. At the time I just said I'll wait until next year not realizing they were not a regular production thing and considered one time collectors items. Now on Ebay they are over $200. sigh.

For the rolling stock I did better. I scored the entire set of six for only $25 per car (less than new price). All different road numbers.
Sorry no review. They will stay in their boxes until next Christmas. Thinking a 3 track salt mine. That is pretty big in O-gauge.
1641863739486.png
1641863703730.png

Last edited:
This thread would pertain to any Model Railroad related items you ordered and received for your MRR or other.
include: Picture, about it, review, reasons for obtaining.
Likewise, one cannot live in Denver and not want to model ALL incarnations of the Ski Train. The old NP coachs pulled by GP units, or the F7 units with the PB steam car on streamlined cars, OR the last appearance of the inside bearing Talgo cars from (um the CN?). Anyway I ordered them about two years ago and the cars came in a year ago. Finally the locomotives arrived and got packed for the move. I unpacked them today.

These are from Rapido. Detailing is amazing as is the paint job. The D&RGW Aspen Gold color looks dead on. All three have DCC & LokSound electronics. Working ditch and marker lights. Now all I need is a test track to give them a trial run. Can't wait to get them on the museum rails as they will never fit my planned pike in time nor location.

A side note, I believe the photo on the box was taken by one of my friends Kevin Morgan of Colorado Railroads.
20220110_195504[1].jpg

One can't live near Hutchinson Kansas and not have some way shape or form a model of the salt mine stuff. Since I saw the Morton Salt plant at Menards three years ago I decided I wanted to do it for the Christmas display. Still haven't gotten the plant. When I first saw it price was $98, and I hesitated. Went back to get it and it was gone. At the time I just said I'll wait until next year not realizing they were not a regular production thing and considered one time collectors items. Now on Ebay they are over $200. sigh.

For the rolling stock I did better. I scored the entire set of six for only $25 per car (less than new price). All different road numbers.
Sorry no review. They will stay in their boxes until next Christmas. Thinking a 3 track salt mine. That is pretty big in O-gauge.
View attachment 138589View attachment 138588

That's awesome! Do you know what the model number is for that salt mine? I will be going to the Big E train show on the 28th of this month and can look for it while there if you want. Sometimes the prices are pretty good.....PM me if so.

The snow in the pics or the trains……lol
Yes, both, snow is its native habitat.

When the UP 1989, D&RGW heritage unit, was pulling the ski train, Kevin got a shot of it busting through a snow drift with the snow spraying everywhere. Can't find the shot but here is one from a few days after the blizzard. Snow still on the front pilot.
101185.jpg

Last edited:
Mail call on these items today....

I bid on 3 of these but the seller sent me 4! All different road numbers too! It came out to be 7.09 per car including shipping! The Athearn one... new in the box was the one that was added......I couldn't believe it!

Athearn 50' SD RAILBOX CAR 5533 Golden West Service GVSR 777503
Roundhouse 50' FMC SD BOX CAR 3253 Golden West Service GVSR 763351
Roundhouse 50' FMC SD BOX CAR 3253 Golden West Service GVSR 763897
Roundhouse 50' FMC SD BOX CAR 3253 Golden West Service GVSR 767012

20220113_191206.jpg
20220113_191312.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg

I also got a new Athearn RTR ATH77908 UP #5541 ~ We Will Deliver GP50 No sound will add a new decoder this weekend. I wanted to get another GP with the slogan on it.

UP 5541.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

So had a few more items arrive today, the GP-18, and the GP-9, (I think it's a 9 as when I checked HOseekers.net it matched the diagram)
The decoders arrived as well, along with the 3 Peco point motors, don't know where to start, spoilt for choice now. 🤩

lionel2.jpg

Well my postie has been busy again, these arrived yesterday, but I was too tired to even open them.

Not too keen on the tanker, but the UP boxcar looks really nice.
I love the flatcar got some real weight to it, all metal, need to swap out the wheels if I can, knuckle sit's too low compared with the others.
The GP-18 is the one that needs new gears, which, if eBay is to be believed, is on route.
The freight cars I need to work out how to open them, need some weight adding, 60grams (2.1oz)should be about right.

freight.jpg

The GP-9 is the replacement chassis for the Lionel Milwaukee Road
I'm not sure how this motor is even running, but it does. Think someone needs a clean?
And I need to sort out a short it has between the chassis and the trucks
gp9rust.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this motor is even running, but it does. Think someone needs a clean?
And I need to sort out a short it has between the chassis and the trucks
If it has a short how do you know it is running?
One side of the rail power is carried in the truck and transferred to the frame of the locomotive on their pivot points. So the trucks and frame are electrically hot. The other side of the power comes up from the trucks on those upside down "L" shaped pieces of metal. That is a friction transfer to the strip of metal that runs along the top.

If it has a short how do you know it is running?
One side of the rail power is carried in the truck and transferred to the frame of the locomotive on their pivot points. So the trucks and frame are electrically hot. The other side of the power comes up from the trucks on those upside down "L" shaped pieces of metal. That is a friction transfer to the strip of metal that runs along the top.
I test ran it, as the trucks rotate slightly to follow a curve, the trucks arc to the chassis, when I looked further, I found that if a truck touches the chassis, it shorts out.

A couple things showed up today, first, an Athearn SD60 in the Oakway scheme. For the price, I was not expecting the upgrades since the last one I got (about 10 years ago). It now has some pilot detail, brake pipes on the trucks, a beacon, and windshield wipers. I'll update it about how it appeared in the mid 1990s. The beacon and the fan winterization hatch get removed. I'll remove the flash from the truck castings and paint them black and add MU hoses and some weathering. There is too much space between the numbers on the side so I'll fix that. The blue was a surprise. I like it as a blue but in incandescent light takes on a sort of purple hue. Hopefully it will fade down as well as the old ones did.
9048.jpg

I also got a set of replacement wheels but there a couple things that are not right. One of the problems is the wheelset at the bottom of the photo but not that the wheel is on crooked. It is straight in the package, just a photo artifact. It has a different problem.

wheelsets.jpg

A couple things showed up today, first, an Athearn SD60 in the Oakway scheme. For the price, I was not expecting the upgrades since the last one I got (about 10 years ago). It now has some pilot detail, brake pipes on the trucks, a beacon, and windshield wipers. I'll update it about how it appeared in the mid 1990s. The beacon and the fan winterization hatch get removed. I'll remove the flash from the truck castings and paint them black and add MU hoses and some weathering. There is too much space between the numbers on the side so I'll fix that. The blue was a surprise. I like it as a blue but in incandescent light takes on a sort of purple hue. Hopefully it will fade down as well as the old ones did.
View attachment 139206

I also got a set of replacement wheels but there a couple things that are not right. One of the problems is the wheelset at the bottom of the photo but not that the wheel is on crooked. It is straight in the package, just a photo artifact. It has a different problem.

View attachment 139207
looks like it has no pin point??? unless it's hidden by the axle on it's right.

Back