Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Arrived this morning !

03.jpg

As I just posted in the New Large Warehouse Kit thread, I received my Ramones Storage & Salvage and the bonus Cooter's Liquor from Downtown Deco a little while ago.
IMG_7800.JPG

Anyone who has never built one of their Hydrocal kits needs to get one and give it a try. The masonry, brick and stucco detailing in Randy's kits cannot be duplicated in any other material. It is outstanding.
To see more of his kits, see RE#1's thread called
"HO scale city".

Tom, why must you hurt my feelings like this?! 😆
Steve, not done on purpose. It hurts to admit I purchased it to strip it. But it is the style I wanted. Good thing though, Hiawatha Hobbies still has a few in stock.

I have so many times thought of going back to 80-86 Milwaukee Road modeling the Valley Sub in Central Wisconsin. But, nope, not doing it.

TomO

Came home to these today....not happy that the double order of flex tracks from FedEX didn't arrive today like it was supposed to but maybe tomorrow.

So my 3rd Heritage unit came today with full sound etc. Athearn Genesis G68624 SD70ACe wDCC & Sound, UPWP Heritage #1983 So now I have WP, SP and CNW.....gotta get the others in due time at the right price and condition. That puts me with (5) SD70Aces.

s-l1600.jpg
20210924_204903.jpg
20210924_204930.jpg
20210924_205144.jpg
20210924_205153.jpg
20210924_205331.jpg

I also got (3) Athearn boxcars. (1) Athearn_88876_GOLDEN WEST SERVICE_ #136440_50' HI CUBE BOX CAR and (2) Athearn RTR Delaware & Hudson RR PS 5344 50' box car train one weathered and the other was a discount budget car as it was missing the grab bars/ladder on the sides which I can easily replace but hey 2 different road numbers!

20210924_204719.jpg
20210924_204512.jpg
20210924_204714.jpg
20210924_204709.jpg

I also picked up (2) more ASAB woodchip hoppers unfortunately they will need to be re-numbered but that's not a huge deal as I have all the decals. These will get heavily weathered as well.

s-l500 (3).jpg
s-l500 (6).jpg
s-l500 (11).jpg
s-l500.jpg

and (1) Athearn 50' PS 5344 single door box car kit lettered for Guilford (B&M).
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

and 2 heavily weathered Athearn_UNION PACIFIC FRUIT EXPRESS road numbers; #460101 & #460308
Athearn_UNION PACIFIC FRUIT EXPRESS 460101,460308.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Needed, er, wanted a couple more GN cabooses, so I thought I'd give this Walthers Ready To Run set a try.There are packages with stirrup steps & railing pieces included.

If that's anything like the Walthers RTR CBQ caboose I picked up about year ago, be very cautious removing the end rails and ladders from the sprue. I don't know if the plastic was brittle from age, but no matter what I did, I couldn't avoid breaking several rails and a ladder. I ended up ordering some brass replacements online.

Alright, I guess I can contribute a few things I've picked up over the past few weeks. After getting that SN locomotive mentioned earlier, I thought perhaps I need a WP unit in case it needs some more horsepower. One of the online retailers had a sale the other week so I got this GP40-2, and added the autorack because, well who wants to pay for shipping on just one item?! I don't have many autoracks at all because of their size, and this is my first Intermountain one, but it's not bad. Apologies these are all still in their boxes, I don't have time to take everything out right now.

P1010764.jpg

Then I managed to hit up the Twin Cities RR Museum show at the fairgrounds last weekend. If any of you were there in the morning and saw someone walking around wearing a fedora with an SP hat badge on the side, that was me. I was glad the show operated, but the selection seemed a little thinner than the show earlier in the year. These are from there, I paid less than most of the prices marked on them:

P1010765.jpg

And finally, last week I was out in CA visiting family. My mother needed to do some shopping in the East Bay, so I managed to sneak into the Berkeley Ace Hardware for a short bit. Chatted briefly with the guy at the hobby desk about some California Northern locomotives (they had some of the Athearn GP15s in the newer orange CFNR paint, but when I asked about the green paint scheme, he said those sold out "right away"). Not a whole lot in their sale section, so I ended up with a WP trailer and a Walthers lumber load, which I did have to take out of its packaging to see if it fit any of my bulkhead flats. Fortunately, yes.

P1010766.jpg

P1010767.jpg

Alright, I guess I can contribute a few things I've picked up over the past few weeks. After getting that SN locomotive mentioned earlier, I thought perhaps I need a WP unit in case it needs some more horsepower. One of the online retailers had a sale the other week so I got this GP40-2, and added the autorack because, well who wants to pay for shipping on just one item?! I don't have many autoracks at all because of their size, and this is my first Intermountain one, but it's not bad. Apologies these are all still in their boxes, I don't have time to take everything out right now.

View attachment 133111

Then I managed to hit up the Twin Cities RR Museum show at the fairgrounds last weekend. If any of you were there in the morning and saw someone walking around wearing a fedora with an SP hat badge on the side, that was me. I was glad the show operated, but the selection seemed a little thinner than the show earlier in the year. These are from there, I paid less than most of the prices marked on them:

View attachment 133112

And finally, last week I was out in CA visiting family. My mother needed to do some shopping in the East Bay, so I managed to sneak into the Berkeley Ace Hardware for a short bit. Chatted briefly with the guy at the hobby desk about some California Northern locomotives (they had some of the Athearn GP15s in the newer orange CFNR paint, but when I asked about the green paint scheme, he said those sold out "right away"). Not a whole lot in their sale section, so I ended up with a WP trailer and a Walthers lumber load, which I did have to take out of its packaging to see if it fit any of my bulkhead flats. Fortunately, yes.

View attachment 133113
View attachment 133114

You done good! Love all the SP WP stuff! I am waiting on my Cotton Belt GP 40 and DRGW GP 40. It should be here this week. Still waiting on my 2nd order of flex track. So that Berkley ACE shop is still running? Cool!

That tractor trailer is quite nice....I will have to see if I can get a few of those.

Nice over all haul!

James, that's one sharp looking unit the UPWP Heritage scheme! 👍

skyliner, thanks for the heads up on those, appreciate it! 👍

Thanks I waited a long time for this one.....3 more to go! Next on the hunt is the MKT, DRGW and the MOPAC heritage units. I am thinking about the 1943 one too I like the looks of it as well. I just noticed in my picture one of the stanchions popped out on the WP/UP unit. Got it fixed now......

Last edited:
Good morning. Another 5 pulpwood cars showed up last week. This gives me a total of 15, except for the 3 I ordered this morning. These cars in many FaceBook buy and sell groups were $35+ plus shipping. Now they are selling $20-28 each and in multiples will include shipping. 18 pulpwood cars is for sure 3 more then I need. Due to a comment from Greg last week in the diner I am re-thinking the number of rolling stock pieces I really need. My goal was 50, then 60 and now I am not sure. The layout as constructed now holds 37-45 cars comfortably and I really dislike cars being stored.
0B7DA880-1022-40DE-9233-53B884AEB258.jpeg

I'm more or less always on the lookout for something in the rolling stock genre that's different, but era specific for the layout. This Intermountain Army tank car is one such find..... Decals in upper rt are for the underframe.
IMG_20211009_040455830.jpg

Then there is the the WP 36011, really, just outside my era, but close enough. An Athearn/Roundhouse car, I posted the prototype, on the --just thought I'd---thread, and I will have some more on this car in the near future.
IMG_20211007_171338979.jpg

Ta Ta......

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone....overcast and rain will be here sooner than later this morning. Lots of rain possible and strong storms this afternoon.
Good day to spend in the train room this afternoon. Looking forward to the time spent working and cleaning up the remaining items from where the water over flowed into the train room.

Curt: I found that stringing the utility poles was very easy once I got into a rhythm and mastered a few techniques. Like in the picture I posted the tweezers that holds the line tight once I glued the first length of wire to the pole using a fast setting AC. I place the wire on the pole(s) insulators usually three at a time and glue the last one first, followed by the rest of three and then move on. The picture below took only two long hours to complete.

Patrick: Six axle diesels can be fussy when going over turnouts and through curves. Check the gauge of the wheel-sets if you haven't already done so. Then try decreasing the gauge very slightly of the middle wheel-set and set and see if that corrects the problem. I had the same problem with a couple six axles locos going through a section of curved track and the front truck usually derailed. Willie offered this suggest of decreasing the gauge of the middle truck(s). No more problems.

My undecorated Kadee 40 foot box car arrived yesterday. A complex kit for what I expected. The box says no glue required. A highly detailed roof walk is included. I intend to use my John Allen decal set to make this box car a John Allen car that's visiting the CM&N Railroad.

I really enjoy seeing the work of others on the Forum. Sort of wish I could visit each and every layout. I belong to the NMRA and during the winter the WISE Division of the NMRA has monthly swap meets (small), modeling contests and then clinics followed by the tour of several layouts. I've toured some very nice and well known layouts in the Milwaukee area. Looking forward to this year's meeting(s) as long as my legs improve and I can do basement stairs. One excellent layout was built by a group of modelers for the owner. As an example, the electrical work was done by electrical degree stiudents from a local college.

James: Nice looking Cotton Belt GP-40. Good details on the locomotive.

That's about all for now.....

Greg

####################

IMG_0369 (1).JPG

Former CM&N Railroad mainline. Note to be effective you don't have to string wire on each insulator on a line-side pole. I usually string more line on the top of the poles and less wire on the bottom.-Greg

Container Ship.jpg

Just think that somewhere on this container ship is someone's long awaited flex-track.-Greg

Last edited:
The last of I keep promising myself pulpwood cars. Total now is 30 the last arrived USPS per tracking at 7:39pm in the mailbox Sunday. I have no glue why I checked the mailbox this morning being Columbus soon to be Native Day in the USA and the mail isn’t being delivered.

I got 7 more delivered $75. Looks like the steel wheels were replaced by rusty axle plastic wheeled ones. The coupler pockets have no covers or couplers but I can handle these as I took them “as is“. After all 30 are weathered and run I will likely sell 6 off but that will be after xmas.

TomO

Back