Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Am I reading that right TLOC ? You paid $29 total yet they were going for $40 on evil bay ? Did you order direct some place ?

Yep, it was $18 for the pulp wood car. $8.50 for shipping and I paid the PayPal fees. I want 5 more and have been looking for over a year all over the internet including Facebook sales sites and EBay. EBay prices are a joke and I see many of these same cars continuously on there from the same folks. I am not buying when it goes over 30 plus shipping. This car whem Walthers released them were under $20 and they re-ran them but as 3 packs. Wisconsin Central of which I have 4 start at 40 and some today were in the 50’s plus ridiculous shipping of 19.00. This guy got an honest price and didn’t scam anyone. Purchased off of the HOswap@groups.io site.
Very happy I am

TomO

I went on the HO swap spot this morning to take a quick check. I do find the stuff on evil bay a little steep for sure on a tight budget.

I am finding most places I buy from are getting crazy. Guy this morning on a Facebook site. The “Rare” engine has sat new in the box 2 years and he is asking the retail price plus shipping. Both the Scaletrain website and my LHS are showing them in stock for less then he asks. I find few deals anywhere but if I do I like to jump on them. The one I purchased was a shock to me and there was no thinking about it. I told the seller I’d buy it. I look every day, but thankfully I don’t want much anymore.
TomO

Another arrival via UPS. Restocking paints is under way. Weathering for the grain complex and rolling stock is hopefully a March thing. That is if the grain gets finished.

TomO

E18C981C-2C9D-4B48-81A3-F319B6C32F84.jpeg

Found a guy selling his dad's estate. The kicker? Display case full of Milwaukee Road! Here's what I picked out.
IMG_20210202_195050482.jpg
Nicely done custom paint, custom decal of MILW 2150, the 100,000th PS-1 boxcar built by Pullman Standard. This earned the car special gold paint. Mine is a little off, but we'll call it old. I'll eventually need to put the MILW's billboard lettering in that big empty space. Why no factory makes these in HO scale is beyond me. The thing would sell, hard.
2150.jpg

IMG_20210202_201652873.jpg
Sorry, the photos aren't the greatest. I'll try and get some glamour shots on a layout this weekend. Again nicely painted and decaled. These cars will (eventually) be hauled by my F6A Hudson. I'm going for a heavyweight Olympian.

The two passenger cars have metal sides with a wood underbody. Solid metal truck frames and such. Any ideas on maker? definitely must be old, but the paint and decals are custom. I think I'll have to change over to Walthers trucks, as these ones look like trouble.

I am finding most places I buy from are getting crazy. Guy this morning on a Facebook site. The “Rare” engine has sat new in the box 2 years and he is asking the retail price plus shipping. Both the Scaletrain website and my LHS are showing them in stock for less then he asks. I find few deals anywhere but if I do I like to jump on them. The one I purchased was a shock to me and there was no thinking about it. I told the seller I’d buy it. I look every day, but thankfully I don’t want much anymore.
TomO
I am pretty much in the same boat, usually do pretty good on ebay but the secret has been to buy in bulk. Onezy Twozys and they will eat you alive. If the price is reasonable , I buy ,if not and they have a "make offer" then I will . I usually look at the old completed sales and ignore the asking price. I just wish ebay had a tool for blocking certain sellers , I hate wasting time and bandwidth looking at retail plus prices, I can go anywhere and pay retail and now that ebay is collecting sales tax, its usually cheaper on new stuff to go someplace else .

I have a group of sellers that I usually deal with , They buy up estates and then sell reasonable to turn the inventory within 90 days.

Whats shocking to me is what they want for some of the Tyco stuff , the world's gone mad.

I am pretty much in the same boat, usually do pretty good on ebay but the secret has been to buy in bulk. Onezy Twozys and they will eat you alive. If the price is reasonable , I buy ,if not and they have a "make offer" then I will . I usually look at the old completed sales and ignore the asking price. I just wish ebay had a tool for blocking certain sellers , I hate wasting time and bandwidth looking at retail plus prices, I can go anywhere and pay retail and now that ebay is collecting sales tax, its usually cheaper on new stuff to go someplace else .

I have a group of sellers that I usually deal with , They buy up estates and then sell reasonable to turn the inventory within 90 days.

Whats shocking to me is what they want for some of the Tyco stuff , the world's gone mad.

I have noticed this as well lately. Ebay is off the rails on their prices. Once in a blue moon you will find a "good deal". I find that when I am searching for things group buys as you mentioned is the best scenario or bid offer option. The other thing that I find which I will share but will not say how it's done is to research your key words on how you look up items in the search engine. It amazes me of how a few key words will make a difference. I find a lot deals that are worth the time to re-word your search. Just thought to share that notion. Sorry I won't give in to an example. You need to figure that out. ;)

I have also broaden my scope to other resources to buying besides Ebay. FB market place is good but I would recommend using a lot of caution and research the seller. The seller will have feed back just take the time to research that seller's sales etc. Scott Love one of my favorites for HO scale is a great and stand up seller on FB. There a few HO scale clubs as well on FB that sell within the group if you are a member. At times you can find some good deals again be cautious and get a lot of pics and questions in before you purchase etc. I also at times buy from Craiglists as well and will only meet the person at a public establishment like a McDs. I use extreme caution when it comes to Craiglists and am very critical. I still check local papers for estate sales/garage sales as well. Then in my area (within 75 miles) we have (3) LHS that do consignments that are at times pretty darn good.

All in all in these times pricing has gone totally nuts and well people are trying to do what ever they can do to make a quick buck but in turn there are some out there that are straight shooters. The thing that erks me is the shipping charges from various platforms. So ya buy in bulk or multiple sales to help justify that. At times I will buy a few things that may include something I do not want but I will turn around and sell that item I didn't want asap.

Peace

By the way does any one have an interest in ho scale TankTrain cars? One of my LHS has about 30 of them all different road #s in cosignments all nice detail kits by Roundhouse. He is asking 10 dollars each NIB. I can send you the LHS info if you are interested.

1612367543448.png

1612367567762.png

1612367624991.png

let me know!

Found a guy selling his dad's estate. The kicker? Display case full of Milwaukee Road! Here's what I picked out.
View attachment 124141
Nicely done custom paint, custom decal of MILW 2150, the 100,000th PS-1 boxcar built by Pullman Standard. This earned the car special gold paint. Mine is a little off, but we'll call it old. I'll eventually need to put the MILW's billboard lettering in that big empty space. Why no factory makes these in HO scale is beyond me. The thing would sell, hard.
View attachment 124143

View attachment 124142
Sorry, the photos aren't the greatest. I'll try and get some glamour shots on a layout this weekend. Again nicely painted and decaled. These cars will (eventually) be hauled by my F6A Hudson. I'm going for a heavyweight Olympian.

The two passenger cars have metal sides with a wood underbody. Solid metal truck frames and such. Any ideas on maker? definitely must be old, but the paint and decals are custom. I think I'll have to change over to Walthers trucks, as these ones look like trouble.

That car really is a sharp looking car! I wouldn't mind having one of those in my fleet. I can't believe this isn't more main stream. Funny though I didn't notice the "bill board" until you mentioned it lol. Nice find! It looks to be manufactured by Roundhouse Inc. as far as the stock car body goes. The custom paint & decals are awesome!

For clarification, your store has Roundhouse ones as in blue box, or do you mean Athearn/Genesis?
The LHS has them in Consignment yes at 10 bucks each. They are made by Roundhouse Inc. and they are unassembled New In Box kits. (old stock) I can go tomorrow at lunch and take a few pictures and post. The boxes they are in look like these...(these are not the actual ones) some of the boxes have the grey ends and not the yellow ends.

1612406823596.png

I met a guy that was selling some ho scale stuff on ebay this past Monday. It turned out he was local not far from where I work. So we arranged a meet up as I purchased these 3 cars from him. Not too shabby! His name is Al. I also invited him to this website to see if he would like to join us. We will see if he does. Anyhow here are my purchases:

Athearn model #5079 MR Milwaukee 50' DD RailBox car road #156018 with Kadees

20210203_183739.jpg
20210203_183749.jpg
20210203_183801.jpg
20210203_183805.jpg

next up....

Athearn model #398 Bev-Bel MILW Milwaukee Railbox road number #50890

20210202_233202.jpg
20210202_233121.jpg

and last one.....

Athearn model #5537 MP MOPAC Missouri Pacific 50' Single Door Box Car road number #367080

20210202_233146.jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
20210202_233031.jpg

Attachments

• 20210202_233031.jpg
    20210202_233031.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 100
That or one four axle and one six axle car I guess, a twelve pack makes more sense.

James, do the caboose throws come with instructions?
Seeing people push them right to the ground is a pet peeve of mine.

Rico

I didn't forget your question....I just got around to checking for the instructions tonight. It looks as though it has information on the back of the package on the card the bag was stapled to.

20210204_002538.jpg
20210204_002545.jpg

Ah thanx James, that cleared something up for me on the pins!
Still, they don’t tell you to stop pushing down when the lever is horizontal or the housing will spread open.
Like I said earlier I hate seeing them pushed right to the ground, makes throwing them harder too when you need to pry them back up.
I have a pile somewhere in my to-go pile.

Back