Magilla’s first layout build.

magilla 12, I checked your very interesting track plan and I think I found a problem...This incline will never work. Too short.

View attachment 160097
Very glad to see that magilla12 is still here with us!

Notice the elevations noted on the plan: The track that the yellow arrow is point to has "Elev. 2.75". However, look to the right of that noted elevation, and see the note "Depr. 0.75", or depressed 3/4", for the track running below. This gives an overall total of 3.5" difference in elevation, which should be adequate clearance at this location.

On the other hand, yeah, it's still a fairly steep grade, and thus suitable only for shorter trains, like maybe a loco and 4 or 5 cars max? But, if the loco is weighted well and has traction tires, it should pull at least a few more yet.

That should be interesting, getting those colours right could be a challenge, but I was referring to what time period your interested in , are you staying with the time period dictated by you loco, or do you intend to come forward to diesels, or even both?
Oh, colors shouldn't be a challenge for magilla12. Maybe he could do what a lot of other model railroaders do - get some sifted dirt from the exact area they're modeling. Based on the area he lives then, maybe even right out of his back yard? 😁

magilla 12, I checked your very interesting track plan and I think I found a problem...This incline will never work. Too short.

Do you mean the grade? I count 13 pieces of track between the two, so at approximately 1/4" per section that would be about 3" grade. Besides this book was originally published in 1958, and has been republished many time. I'm pretty certain it has been built 100s of times and they would have fixed any issues in the plan in the intervening years.

I am excited to watch and see how it comes out.

OK, I think all I need to do now is go steal my son’s miter saw and I’ll get this table built. 7B4E8F07-DA0E-4365-8026-8621DF3C15DA.jpeg4029B46B-22AD-4345-A930-1C533DEF01C4.jpeg

Back