Magazines I was almost in.....

hminky

From the Kalmbach Model Railroader e-newletter:

Our Model Railroad Planning e-mail sent on January 10 mistakenly mentioned a Harold Minkwitz's On2-1/2 story. Regrettably, that feature won't appear in Model Railroad Planning 2006, rather a future installment. However, Model Railroad Planning 2006 will include Bruce Chubb's article on designing his new HO scale Sunset Valley Oregon System.

I guess I have missed another 15 minutes of fame. Still you can visit my website and follow the building of my layout. I am chronicling all the adventures.

photo14.jpg

We aren't doing On30 anymore, and we are having more fun than ever modeling the 1870's. Visit us at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Well Bruce is in the MR Club, makes sense to me, again, MR would rather show us little guys model railroads that most of us will never have or let alone see. The fact Harold that yours is 8 X 4 and the pictures you take, I thought yours was a much larger model railroad. Again MR misses the whole point. This is one of the reasons I am letting my subscription lapse, don't visit their forums, it's always the same people posting in trackside photos, same folks doing articles, same reference to the good ole boys club. I would like to see all the new blood that is in the hobby, you visit alot of the forums and I see modeling that is as good if not better then the folks at Kalmbach.

Sorry, but once I read your post, and remember seeing that "mistake" e-mail, it just shows the bias they display. I am probably over stepping my place here and saying this but it does touch a nerve with me. I have seen you work in RMC Harold.

Man, that stinks! They had a photo and everything, (I immediately recognized the layout) and I was really looking forward to the article...

Bruce Chubb's article on designing his new HO scale Sunset Valley Oregon System.

Didn't they just cover that in this month's MR? It's a great layout, but do we really need two articles on the same thing?

Great minds think alike <LOL>!

dthurman said:
...Sorry, but once I read your post, and remember seeing that "mistake" e-mail, it just shows the bias they display. I am probably over stepping my place here and saying this but it does touch a nerve with me...
Dave, I hear ya! I've always had the perception of an "us-and-them" attitude among the Kalmbach elite and their faithful minions - that, first there is Model Railroader, then there's everybody else. (And it doesn't help matters that the LHS closest to where I live carries only Kalmbach publications...!:mad: ) There seems to be some sort of glass ceiling that only a select few can get through, but once you're there, you become a repeat "regular".

The good news is that, with fantastic forums like this one, there is absolutely no need for me to depend solely on Kalmbach to learn about great modeling ideas!:cool:

Now you know why I write here and not ask to be published!!;)

I know the feeling, I was going to appear in Playgirl but after seeing my photo shoot they cancelled it saying "Now we know WHY tigers eat their young"!:p :D

Just the medication. Thank You.

Johnny

I guess I fail to see what all the flap is about.

They aren't going to publish you in Model Railroad Planning but instead publish you in MR? That's how I took the "future" part.

I'd rather be in MR to MRP -- MR has at least double the circulation of MRP.

I doubt the black helicopters over Kalmbach had anything to do with their reasons for making this change.;)

jfugate said:
I guess I fail to see what all the flap is about.

They aren't going to publish you in Model Railroad Planning but instead publish you in MR? That's how I took the "future" part.

I'd rather be in MR to MRP -- MR has at least double the circulation of MRP.

I doubt the black helicopters over Kalmbach had anything to do with their reasons for making this change.;)

The "future part" is a place in a future Model Railroad Planning. I and another poor chap were bumped by Bruce Chubb who is also having another installment in Model Railroader.

Harold

Harold,

I know from personal experience that articles bumped from one MRP often show up in a later one. Not always, but often. I imagine they've paid you already, so at least you know they have an investment in the piece.

I'm sure it's frustrating, but it seems unlikely it's anything more than finding out how many pages were available and discovering that not everything fit. As a former editor of a magazine (a small one), I know it's easier to defer a shorter article than a larger one.

We'll all look forward to seeing it in print again one day.

And by the way, nice conspiracy theories, guys. Very creative.

Regards,

Byron

So it was supposed to be you, but they bumped it, well that ruins the plan of buying that one!

Its depressing because I KNOW you have a WEALTH of information to share with us, and you do frequently here, yet they're going to show off other layouts that have been there allready.

enjineerbill said:
Now you know why I write here and not ask to be published!!;)

I know the feeling, I was going to appear in Playgirl but after seeing my photo shoot they cancelled it saying "Now we know WHY tigers eat their young"!:p :D

Just the medication. Thank You.

Johnny

Priceless :D

jbaakko said:
So it was supposed to be you, but they bumped it

To paraphrase the Marlon Brando character from "On the Waterfront":

"I coulda been a contendah, but I all I got was a one way ticket to small layoutsville":eek:

Harold

hminky said:
To paraphrase the Marlon Brando character from "On the Waterfront":

"I coulda been a contendah, but I all I got was a one way ticket to small layoutsville":eek:

Harold

I think MRP needed that article from you. Oh well, all the more for us, all the less for them!

Harold has had some great articles in RMC, the other Rag :)

I want to know if Bob Boudreau is the same Bob Boudreau that had a business that sold paper buildings? I also saw an ad in RMC with his name. It was an OLD issue, but still interesting concept.

Wow! I just posted a reply! Where did it go? Outer space?
Ill see if this one takes

Willis

OK that worked don't have time to do it over so:

Hi Johnny, if you need a place to store your unit before the move, theres a spot on my layout where it'll fit right in. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Willis, you posted on Harolds thread, your post is patiently sitting at Johhny's thread, I think it's wondering were you went ;)

dthurman said:
Willis, you posted on Harolds thread, your post is patiently sitting at Johhny's thread, I think it's wondering were you went ;)

Yeh Willis What-choo talkin' about? I've waited a LIFETIME to say that:D !!

Johnny

We now return you to your ORIGINAL thread!

Back