Made in America?

Somehow, the perception got to be that only the less gifted students did the vocational classes. The guys in electronics tech got to take some math courses, but they were a little weird though in the eyes of the gifted.

Now the gifted are looking over their shoulders for the HR person coming to see them. The guys who learned carpentry, welding, soldering, drafting, auto mechanics and so on are able to hustle a living.....not a fabulous one, but they can pay their bills since they didn't have all the debts living the good life brings. And they can fix things in their homes and were able to show their kids how to do it as well.

As for made in USA, my wife and I look for the flag on the box or the fine print. Usually the USA item is 10-15% more, but we purchase it. Unfortunately, it seems to have a film of dust on it since those items haven't moved like the cheaper things from overseas.

I haven't looked, but is Atlas track for the most part USA-made?

Yes Micro-trains are made in Oregon, but even with all the quality they have, do they have to be so pricey? That allows Atlas to bring in the Chinese built line and price it $5-10 under Micro-train and make a ton of dough for Atlas whose costs have to be around $5 for the car sold at $12.

Wouldn't MT rather sell a few more cars to spread out their costs over that larger number?

I don't think Atlas makes anything in the USA now. The Kadee HO hopper cars are worth the $42. Nothing made anywhere compares. You pay for what you get. It would probably take a day to upgrade an Atlas, Bowser etc. to get even close to the Kadee detail. I bought 2 of them in a close-out road name sale for 1/2 price on thier web site.

30 years a go we had a Woolco in Port Richy Florida and they sold trains! Them were the days.......ahhhhhh memories!

That allows Atlas to bring in the Chinese built line and price it $5-10 under Micro-train and make a ton of dough for Atlas whose costs have to be around $5 for the car sold at $12.

QUOTE]

That ATLAS n scale car costs less then $3 to make.

That allows Atlas to bring in the Chinese built line and price it $5-10 under Micro-train and make a ton of dough for Atlas whose costs have to be around $5 for the car sold at $12.

QUOTE]

That ATLAS n scale car costs less then $3 to make.

Two things hit there---1) wages are less than half made here---but 2) is even bigger---not nearly the amount of regulation(labour, environmental, and a lot else besides).ATLAS, though takes a bit of a hit when it comes to lack of QC. When you offshore you do lose in terms of QC because it takes more admin time to do such------

The other aspect is the attention to detail is still in Micro-Train's favour. ATLAS' cheaper line never was up to the Quality/detail level to start with

If not stickers, then have it painted on the packaging with the logo. If walmart didn't exist and there is a demand for your product, it will still sell. Other stores would stock it and I assume already do. I would do whatever it takes to pitch the Made in America concept because in my mind, the customers looking for that are going to be loyal to a product.

You can't buy an HO GP38 DCC ready at Walmart, Target, Shopko, etc, and it's certainly not that there isn't a demand. Granted it's more of a specialized niche, but you get the idea. Even without a big chain store there's enough demand to keep several companies in business and in competition. And I'm sure all of of here are thankful for that!:D

Just a follow up:

They don't actually sell our product, they use it to repair their stores. We don't sell retail. Also to do it on the labels for the product, would require a whole redesign as every spot is filled with directions and MSDS stuff as it is.

The basic issue with offshore production is not wages. Those are pennies on the dollars when it comes to the price of the product. The real issue is overall corporate tax load. The US has one of the highest effective corporate tax rates in the world when you include federal state, and local taxes. Many of the offshore production facilities are in tax-free or very low tax zones. We need to rethink how we handle taxes in this country. For those of you who slept through Econ 101, corporations don't pay taxes. Consumers pay taxes. Every dime of tax is passed through to the consumer with the corporation's overhead and profit added in. Corporate taxes go mostly to fund an already bloated and inefficient bureaucracy. If we simply eliminated corporate taxes, every company would have a level playing field, since large corporations are better at avoiding taxes than smaller ones. All those overseas jobs would come back to the US since the economic incentive to produce offshore would be greatly reduced. We would get cheaper, higher quality products and workers would have decent paying jobs. Getting rid of corporate taxes would do more for our economy than all the stimulus money we are currently throwing down various rat holes. :mad:

The basic issue with offshore production is not wages. Those are pennies on the dollars when it comes to the price of the product. The real issue is overall corporate tax load. The US has one of the highest effective corporate tax rates in the world when you include federal state, and local taxes. Many of the offshore production facilities are in tax-free or very low tax zones. We need to rethink how we handle taxes in this country. For those of you who slept through Econ 101, corporations don't pay taxes. Consumers pay taxes. Every dime of tax is passed through to the consumer with the corporation's overhead and profit added in. Corporate taxes go mostly to fund an already bloated and inefficient bureaucracy. If we simply eliminated corporate taxes, every company would have a level playing field, since large corporations are better at avoiding taxes than smaller ones. All those overseas jobs would come back to the US since the economic incentive to produce offshore would be greatly reduced. We would get cheaper, higher quality products and workers would have decent paying jobs. Getting rid of corporate taxes would do more for our economy than all the stimulus money we are currently throwing down various rat holes. :mad:

HERE!HERE! BRAVO!!! The truth be known! :D:D:D

Very true... I get a kick out of the people that want to raise the taxes on the rich, they don't realize they are raising them on themselves.

Some very good points!
I'm sure we've all seen this one, but just in case:

Economic Stimulus Payment
This year, taxpayers will receive an Economic Stimulus Payment. This is a
very exciting new program that I will explain using the Q and A format:

Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?
A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money?
A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?
A. Only a smidgen.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment?
A. The plan is that you will use the money to purchase a high-definition
TV set or a new computer, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China ?
A. Shut up.

Some very good points!
I'm sure we've all seen this one, but just in case:

Economic Stimulus Payment
This year, taxpayers will receive an Economic Stimulus Payment. This is a
very exciting new program that I will explain using the Q and A format:

Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?
A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money?
A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?
A. Only a smidgen.

A. Shut up.

Don't you just love the logic?:rolleyes::rolleyes:---Now if only:rolleyes:---

Didn't we always know that we are the 'gummints' "cash cow"?:mad:

A. Shut up.

That's why I like to spend it on train stuff made in North America!:cool:

Great idea... Most of my wardrobe comes from the Red White & Blue store. The money stays here & it also supports the Vietnam Vets. A GREAT combination, So far I haven't found any trains there. Jerry

30 years a go we had a Woolco in Port Richy Florida and they sold trains! Them were the days.......ahhhhhh memories!

Right. At that time AHM was owned by F.W. Woolworth corp. At least once a year they ran a sale on all the trains. I bought a Y6B Mallet for $29.95 back then. It was made for AHM by Rivarossi. Still have it and it still runs great. The AHM UP Big Boy and the Cab Forward artic's could be had for right around $55.00 which was out of my range back then. Wouldn't it good to build a time machine and go back with a bucket of cash? LOL

I dident have a licence untill 1995'
my car was built in 1989 I bought it in 95
My Mack Truck that I work part time was built in 1977 I wasent born untill 79'
My "old" Mack that is being restored for truck shows. it was built in 1964, I plan use the old mack to pull my "new" caddy that was built in 1965
did I mention they are all paid for! no loans here!

I did however buy a new townhome about 6 years ago... but dont worry its only worth 2/3 of what I paid for it.

Buying used not only saves money but you will be greener than any tree hugger out there! did I mention everything but the house are all paid for! no loans here! No college schooling just hard work and a brain that has some skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I'm not aware that Woolworth's ever had an ownership stake in AHM but I know they functioned kind of like an outlet store for them in the 60's and early 70's. As you said, usually right after Christmas, Woolworth's would suddenly have this enormous selection of AHM stuff and then it would be gone until the next year. I remember buying freight cars for 99 cents, passenger cars for $2.00, and an IHB 0-8-0 for $10. Made a great start for kitbashing a 2-8-2. :)

Trent, you are living exactly the correct lifestyle to enable you to retire early and wealthy. I'm 63 and have owned exactly six cars in my life, one of which I still have. I haven't had a car payment since I was 22 and always paid off my credit card debt every month while taking advantage of all the perks I could get. Five of us are flying to Cancun next month for a grand total of $63 cash thanks to the credit card company being nice enough to give me 138,000 free miles while I never paid them a dime in fees. I don't think they like me very much. :) If more people would invest 20% of their income in stocks and bonds, max out their 401(k)'s, and live debt-free, most of the economic problems in this country would vanish.

Back